Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

setting 45 degrees on metal chop saws?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • setting 45 degrees on metal chop saws?

    Hey this might be a stupid question, but does anyone know why there are always two bolts on the thing that sets angles on metal chop saws and the proper way to set them? Do you guys just loosen one and keep the other still, or do you loosen both and set it at for example 45 degrees and hope its the right angle?

    For example, i had to set my angles at 22 1/2 degrees for some welding and i had to cut a piece on my regular wood chop saw and use that as a guide everything and it gets annoying, there has to be some secret to use of the two bolts? Thanks in advance..

  • #2
    Nope it's just a simple clamp. Chop saws are not built for accurate cuts. Cut pieces that you know are square are good to use for setting up the clamp.
    Tim Beeker,
    T-N-J Industries
    (my side bussiness)

    Miller Synchrowave 350LX with tigrunner
    Esab 450i with wire feeder
    HH135 mig
    Thermal Dynamics cutmaster 51 plasma cutter
    Miller aircrafter 330 - sold
    Marathon 315mm coldsaw
    vertical and horizontal band saws
    table saw
    Dewalt cut off saw
    Sand blast cabinet
    lots of hand grinders
    Harris torch
    beer fridge

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by tnjind View Post
      Nope it's just a simple clamp. Chop saws are not built for accurate cuts. Cut pieces that you know are square are good to use for setting up the clamp.
      Yep what he said, or you could use a speed square to check angle.

      Comment


      • #4
        Is there any reason why I cannot use my high$$ DeWalt saw that cuts all those fancy angles when I do wood working...convert it to a chop saw by just adding a cut-off blade??
        Don
        Scottsdale, AZ
        www.savagesun4x4.com

        MillerMatic 211 AS
        Hypertherm PowerMax30
        Bernard 300 Amp Q Gun
        Bernard 200 Amp Q Gun
        Milwaukee Band-saw/stand
        10 Angle Grinders 8, 4 1/2" -2, 7"
        DeWalt Chop Saw
        Craftsman Twin-Blade Saw
        12 Ton Shop Press
        Optrel Satellite Helmet
        Miller Elite Helmet
        sigpic

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by SavageSunJeep View Post
          Is there any reason why I cannot use my high$$ DeWalt saw that cuts all those fancy angles when I do wood working...convert it to a chop saw by just adding a cut-off blade??
          Most Abrasive blades are not designed to run at the speed a Wood Mitre saw turns.

          There is one company that is selling blades that they say will work.

          I'll have to find the link.


          But I wouldn't want to screw with my mid$$ Compound Mitre saw- It only gets fed wood


          http://www.bulletindustries.com/catalog/
          Last edited by Broccoli1; 01-29-2008, 12:16 PM. Reason: Link Added
          Ed Conley
          http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
          MM252
          MM211
          Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
          TA185
          Miller 125c Plasma 120v
          O/A set
          SO 2020 Bender
          You can call me Bacchus

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Broccoli1 View Post
            Most Abrasive blades are not designed to run at the speed a Wood Mitre saw turns.

            There is one company that is selling blades that they say will work.

            I'll have to find the link.


            But I wouldn't want to screw with my mid$$ Compound Mitre saw- It only gets fed wood


            http://www.bulletindustries.com/catalog/
            OK, then why don't they have a Chop saw that is like a compound mitre saw to cut angles etc et
            Don
            Scottsdale, AZ
            www.savagesun4x4.com

            MillerMatic 211 AS
            Hypertherm PowerMax30
            Bernard 300 Amp Q Gun
            Bernard 200 Amp Q Gun
            Milwaukee Band-saw/stand
            10 Angle Grinders 8, 4 1/2" -2, 7"
            DeWalt Chop Saw
            Craftsman Twin-Blade Saw
            12 Ton Shop Press
            Optrel Satellite Helmet
            Miller Elite Helmet
            sigpic

            Comment


            • #7
              The mechanism would get clogged with the metal and blade particles.

              And the price of the unit would go up so high you would be better off getting a cold saw. http://www.bii1.com/coldsaws/coldsaws_manual.htm

              TJ
              TJ______________________________________

              Comment


              • #8
                I use a square to set my 45's or 90's. You cant rely on the settings on the saw and I snug up both bolts. I also never use the lock down handle with the bolts, it doesnt hold very well anyhow. The only trouble I have with mine is the blade flexing if I only want to cut off a 1/4" of material.

                Heres a link on the evolution tools and blades.
                http://www.evolutionpowertools.co.uk/us/index.html
                Ken

                What else is there besides welding and riding. Besides that

                Miller Thunderbolt XL 300/200 AC/DC
                Hobart Handler 187
                Dewalt Chop Saw
                4" Air Grinder
                Die Grinder
                Rigid Drill Press
                Kellogg 10hp Air Compressor


                2009 FXDC

                Comment


                • #9
                  I have the same problem as KBar, if i want to take a little off it makes for a tough cut because of the blade flex. as for cut angles i use my speed square for 45.s and 90.s. i made several wood templates for other angles on my wood chop saw,in a pinch before i got my metal chop-saw i put a blade on my makita. one cut said i was sorry never again.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    They're called "chop" saws because "hack" saw was allready taken!

                    I just use my angle finder/ protractor thingy, if I need to get closer than that I find a bandsaw.

                    We have a Dewalt mitre saw at work that we us for cutting Alum. (special blade) well I think we own three of them now. They survive pretty well depending on who is operating them, but we've had them all repaired once. One of the guys found out they don't cut stainless pipe very well I'm sure if it was someone that would have known better it would have been fatal!
                    at home:
                    2012 325 Trailblazer EFI with Excel power
                    2007 302 Trailblazer with the Robin SOLD
                    2008 Suitcase 12RC
                    Spoolmatic 30A
                    WC-24
                    2009 Dynasty 200DX
                    2000 XMT 304
                    2008 Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52
                    Sold:MM130XP
                    Sold:MM 251
                    Sold:CST 280

                    at work:
                    Invision 350MP
                    Dynasty 350
                    Millermatic 350P
                    Retired:Shopmaster 300 with a HF-251

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Normally

                      Normally there are two bolts, one for the adjustable jaw to pivot on, the other to set the angle. Set angles from the adjustable jaw face to the blade as the degree thingy is normally never correct.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by droptopgt View Post
                        Hey this might be a stupid question, but does anyone know why there are always two bolts on the thing that sets angles on metal chop saws and the proper way to set them? Do you guys just loosen one and keep the other still, or do you loosen both and set it at for example 45 degrees and hope its the right angle?

                        For example, i had to set my angles at 22 1/2 degrees for some welding and i had to cut a piece on my regular wood chop saw and use that as a guide everything and it gets annoying, there has to be some secret to use of the two bolts? Thanks in advance..
                        Here's a Chop Saw Plans I bought off of Ebay and found out after the fact that they are on the net for free. Here's some pictures of The one I built. It piviots the Whole base so you don't have to turn the whole piece of steel. Look at the saw I have its a cold chop saw blade doesn't give when I've cut angels.
                        If I'm cutting a lot of the same angle I use the Dayton Horizantal Band Saw.
                        Attached Files
                        I BLEED MILLER BLUE!
                        DoubleEdgeWelding@kc.rr.com
                        GROUNDED IN FAITH!
                        I have what my Big Bro JESUS has Blessed me with:
                        Miller 251,Miller Syncro 180,Miller 625 Plasma Cutter
                        Want to Buy a Miller PC-300
                        ,
                        Dayton 7"x12" Horiziontal Band Saw, Dewalt 14" Abrasive,& Cold Chop Saws,4' Box/Pan Brake,Also A Complete Wood Shop. Now alls I need is a bigger shop!

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X