Burned a hole in a connection

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Burned a hole in a connection

Im welding up a cart for my MM180 using 1 x 1 x 0.063 sq tube, with 0.030 wire, they gave me with the machine. I have it on auto set, the problem I had with one of the connections, there was a 1\8 gap, when I went to weld it up I burned a hole in the tubing, it got pretty ugly. How do I prevent this from happening? Thanks for your advice.

Robert
    Fab Tech

Experience. Weave from side to side. Don't let it get too hot.
    AutoArc 230 (MM 210)
    3035 spoolgun
    Spectrum 625
    Dialarc HF w/Coolmate 4

Comment

Do a series of spot welds to keep the metal from getting too hot and burning through. Pulse the trigger, when you see the metal start to cool (when the orange glow starts to fade a little) give it a little more and keep going til you get past the void you are trying to fill. Also try to keep the weld favored to the solid piece and just make enough of a weld to close up the gap and make a second pass if necessary. Just a few suggestions that may work for you. None of these are really the correct way of doing things but will work.

The correct way to remedy the problem is with good fit up of your pieces. Be a little more careful with your cutting and measuring. Dave
      If necessity is the Mother of Invention, I must be the Father of Desperation!

sigpicJohn Blewett III 10-22-73 to 8-16-07
      Another racing great gone but not to be forgotten.http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...modified&hl=en

Comment

Originally posted by FabTech View Post
        Im welding up a cart for my MM180 using 1 x 1 x 0.063 sq tube, with 0.030 wire, they gave me with the machine. I have it on auto set, the problem I had with one of the connections, there was a 1\8 gap, when I went to weld it up I burned a hole in the tubing, it got pretty ugly. How do I prevent this from happening? Thanks for your advice.

Robert
        close the gap.

Comment

1/8" gap

1. There is no substitute for good fit-up.

2. Having said that, a 1/8" gap is nothing (for a stick welder).

3. It is "Autoset" not "Autopilot".

4. Burning up the base metal is caused by concentrating too much heat. The whole point of welding is controlling the heat and blending the metals. Watch the puddle and you will know what is happening with both.

Good luck.
          Triggerman

Ammonia refrigeration tech
          Trailblazer 302 (yes, it's new)
          Millermatic 180 w/Autoset
          CST-250
          HF-15 High frequency
          XR15 w/Push-Pull Gun
          Victor O/A, DeWalt, North mask

"A professional knows what to do. A craftsman knows why."

Comment

Working...