Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Enclosed Trailer Plans..Dabar39 - Overkill....

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Enclosed Trailer Plans..Dabar39 - Overkill....

I've got a few months to kill before spring when I'll get busy around the house and acreage (not to mention a new baby coming in May ) so I've been wanting another project to occupy my time and keep me out of trouble. I've always wanted a smaller enclosed trailer. I already have an 18' open car trailer and me and my buddies have a 48' tripple axle enclosed race trailer. I was thinking of something along the lines of 6' X 12'. Something to haul stuff home from Home Depot, Menards and such. Some mowers when needed, and eventually a couple of ATV's to the trails (once the boy arrives and grows a little ) and lord knows what else.

Since Dave seems to be the resident expert on trailers, what should I make the frame out of? I know your thoughts on overbuilding a trailer but would hate to overload it. I searched for some pictures and know what I like (Overkills trailer is awesome BTW). Just looking for a little advice. I've ordered from Champion trailer in the past and they seem to have very good service, unless someone knows of anyone better. If anyone has pics or thoughts, please post or you can send them directly to me:

pwilliams@traer.net

willy, If I was going to build it I would go with 2"x3" or 2"x4" x11ga. box tube for my perimeter frame and 3" channel for my cross members. Tongue would be either 2x3 or 2x4x11ga. box tube with a 50 deg. A-frame coupler.

The uprights for the sides would be made from 1x2x14 ga. and 1x1x14 ga. box tube spaced with the 1x2's every 48" on center and the 1" sq. at every 16" with the top and bottom being 1x2x14 ga. box tube. Stringers between the uprights would be 1x2's. Same thing with the side door and also the ramp or barn doors, whichever you would be using.

Champion trailers is an O.K. place to deal with if you like spending a lot of money, I on the other hand like my money and deal with Axle Supplies Inc. 705 E. Second St. Ward Ar., 72176 Ph. # 501-843-2612 speak to Wes Elliot, He's a super guy and will help you any way he can. They also have another place called Axis Products up in Elkhart In. 574-266-8282 or axisproducts.com, I also have a few others that I deal with if any ones needing more info. Dave

P.S. If you need any other help shoot me a p.m. and I'll send you my phone number

Comment

Got a few months to kill??? If you get really bored, I'm building a house with my son besides my real job, and my side welding work.

Congrats on the spring baby

Comment

Thanks Dave - just what I was looking for. PM has been sent.

Sorry HMW - better with metal than wood

Comment

Working...
        X
        Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.