No announcement yet.

Can anyone figure out what is wrong with my welds? :confused:

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I use pure co2 all the time on thick or thin steel with no problem other than a little more spatter.
    sigpichttp://www.sharpsiron.com

Comment

Originally posted by mi_r16 View Post
      Sorry to say it's no Miller or other high quality welder. It's a SIP Migmate 150 230volt.
      It has negative ground.
      I've tried all possible settings on the welder with just the same result. It has just hi/low and max/med/min for amps and fully adjustable wire feed.
      As for gas flow i've tried everything from nothing to max, and the weld is basically bad no matter what flow.
      It looks like your welds are not receiving sufficient post-flow gas. The SIP Migmate does not have a gas solenoid. A valve is located in the torch and gas flow begins once the trigger is pulled in halfway (pulling it in the rest of the way activates the feed roller and makes the tip hot). When finishing up a weld, ease off the trigger to the point where the wire feed stops but not to where the gas shuts off. Hold it in this position for a second or two, to let the end of the weld remain shrouded in shielding gas, before fully letting go of the trigger and moving the torch away.

Comment

Originally posted by mk10 View Post
        It looks like your welds are not receiving sufficient post-flow gas. The SIP Migmate does not have a gas solenoid. A valve is located in the torch and gas flow begins once the trigger is pulled in halfway (pulling it in the rest of the way activates the feed roller and makes the tip hot). When finishing up a weld, ease off the trigger to the point where the wire feed stops but not to where the gas shuts off. Hold it in this position for a second or two, to let the end of the weld remain shrouded in shielding gas, before fully letting go of the trigger and moving the torch away.
        I have tried this. Didn't help. But I found the gas valve in the torch to be leaking just a little bit, and this is probable where it has been sucking in air polluting the weld. I got a new torch and now the welds are great again!

Thanks everyone, you've been a great help.

Comment

Working...
        X