Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dirt Bike Pannier Carrier

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dirt Bike Pannier Carrier

We do motocross and trail rides with our dirt bikes.
    Next weekend is a 60 kilometre long trail ride. We normally only ride 15 kilometre loops twice before stopping to re-fuel, rest, drink and eat.
    We normally only carry water, first aid products and an air pump. But this trail ride we need to take food, tools, spare tube and a two way radio.
    Thus we need some way to carry the extra 5 kilos of weight.
    I came up with an idea and drew it on my cad system. I printed out the design and glued it to a sheet of 1.6mm or 1/16th" ali.
    Then the usual took place cut and shape.

Ji
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Jigantor; 07-08-2011, 11:10 PM.

Then came the folding and drilling.

Ji
    Attached Files

Comment

With the carrier attached to the bike I can now test fit the push bike pannier I purchased and work out how to fix it to the carrier without any movement.

So far so good.

Ji
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Jigantor; 07-08-2011, 11:10 PM.

Comment

Tig welded all the seams.
        Lathed a few more spacer tubes.
        Locktite all the fittings.
        And it is ready to go.

Very pleased with the outcome.

Ji
        Attached Files

Comment

Finished product.

Ji
          Attached Files

Comment

That's super clean. Good work. How did it work on your ride?

Comment

Hi Trasko,
              On the Saturday the trail loop was 60 kilometers long with creek crossings and hill climbs blocked by logs and boulders. The loop took 6 hours to complete with 2 fuel stops. We did not have any break downs so the tools carried in the pannier were never used. I did put the jerry can funnel in the pannier which did get used. Our fuel tanks were transported to a central position via open trailer and were covered in sand. Had I attached the funnel to the jerry can it would have been unuseable.
              It also rained most of Saturday.
              On Sunday the loop was only 6 kilometers long and we blasted around it 5 times at very high speed.

Summary;
              The extra 5 kilos over the front wheel did mean that I had to shift my weight back slightly over jumps and down hills, but the front end grip while cornering was improved. Overall I enjoyed having the pannier along as it carried food and a handheld UHF two way radio as well. I did get some great comments about it while talking to other riders at the fuel stops. It functioned perfectly and did not rattle, come lose, shift load and with the waterproof cover everything inside was dry.

Ji

Comment

Image 1 is a bloke stuck in deep sand in one of the creek crossings. His bike was standing up by itself while he tried to dig it out. The pannier also carried a camera.

Ji
                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                X
                Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.