Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

DC Polarity

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DC Polarity

What are the main differences in actual welding between, Straight Polarity
    (electrode -) and Reverse Polarity (electrode +).

i am a student and we have just learned about that and basically it differs from which welding process your doing for example tig the heats shoots right up through the electrode when your welding with striaght polarity but that is what my teacher was telling us!!

Comment

Main difference

Reverse polarity, DCEP, promotes more penetration

Straight polarity, DCEN, promotes mild penetration

(A/C is somewhere in between.)

Hope this helps.

Comment

Thanks Triggerman, a very helpful answer.

Comment

I depends on what process you are using. With Tig, DCEN is used for welding ferrous metals, while AC is used for welding most non ferrous metals such as Aluminum

With GMAW, DCEP is the only polarity that can be used. With Fluxcore wires, the polarity will depend on what type of wire is being used.

With SMAW, various rods use different polarities. In general however, rods run on DCEP provide more penetration while those run in DCEN provide less. However, this is just as much a case of the type of flux used on the rods as the polarity.

Comment

Working...
          X
          Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.