Passport Pro and 16 gauge aluminum?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fun4now View Post
    i shot ya a PM, the wife can make ya one like this only in black.
    Sold!.....

Comment

check your e-mail
      thanks for the help
      ......or..........
      hope i helped
      sigpic
      feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
      summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
      JAMES

Comment

check your e-mail
        Check yours.

Comment

Hey ROOT:

$500!! I'll PM my address!!

I'm glad the 3/32" helped, I spent a lot of time learnin' that.
          At my skill level (and new to the site), it was nice to help someone dumber'n me.

I wish I'd had this forum when I was learning. It would have saved my TIG torch bouncing off the garage door many, many times.

OBTW: You're typing, so's I guess your eyes are feeling OK. I didn't think you'd need me to tell you to turn on yer friggin' helmet. (I've never done that.)

Good luck with your welding, I enjoy your sick sense of humor. Thanks for the follow-up.
          Last edited by Craig in Denver; 02-14-2008, 03:09 PM.
          RETIRED desk jockey.

Hobby weldor with a little training.

Craftsman O/A---Flat, Vert, Ovhd, Horz.

Miller Syncrowave 250.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Craig in Denver View Post
            it was nice to help someone dumber'n me.
            OOOHHHHH!!! You just had to go and blow it! I was *just* about to drop the $500 check in the mail. Oh man. Tough luck.

I wish I'd had this forum when I was learning. It would have saved my TIG torch bouncing off the garage door many, many times.
            Agreed. This forum has already helped me quite a bit, and I've only just begun.

OBTW: You're typing, so's I guess your eyes are feeling OK. I didn't think you'd need me to tell you to turn on yer friggin' helmet. (I've never done that.)
            You really don't want $500, do ya'.

However, in my defense... It is called an "auto" darkening helmet. If you have push a button, then I think they should rename it to "semi-auto". Or "auto-if-you-turn-it-on". Am I right? Come on.

Thanks for asking though. My eyes were fine. Luckily the 3M Speedglas helmet has shade 13 UV and IR protection regardless of the visible light shade or even whether the helmet is on or off.

Good luck with your welding
            Thanks. Greatly appreciated, even from a wise-guy like you.

Comment

Passport Plus and 16 gauge aluminum...

Hello,
              Has anyone tried to weld 16 gauge thick aluminum together, such as two pieces of 1" sched 40 Alum. pipe, with the Passport's spoolmate?
              Could someone share their experience?
              Thank you kindly in advance,
              Jimi
              Miller Dynasty 200DX

Comment

Tig it

Buy a tig welder. I've done charge cooler pipes on diesel truck, with brazing rod(Mobile). Spool gun will be too hot.
                Millermatic 210
                Syncrowave 200
                Spectrum 625 X-treme
                Hobart Champion 16 W/
                Miller 8VS Suitcase
                Miller 3035 Spool Gun
                Tons of Tools
                Microwave
                Laptop and Printer
                Speakers in the Back for all to hear Sirius Radio!

Comment

looks like a job for Millers new TIG.
                  thanks for the help
                  ......or..........
                  hope i helped
                  sigpic
                  feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
                  summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
                  JAMES

Comment

looks like a job for Millers new TIG.
                    LOL funny but your right. I think he posted somewhere else asking this question.

James
                    Miller Dynasty 200DX SOLD
                    WeldTec Water Cooler SOLD
                    Miller Millermatic 180 w/ Spoolmate 100
                    20Ton press
                    And lots of Cut-off and grinding wheels
                    www.IAGPERFORMANCE.com

Comment

root
                      However, in my defense... It is called an "auto" darkening helmet. If you have push a button, then I think they should rename it to "semi-auto". Or "auto-if-you-turn-it-on". Am I right? Come on.

Thanks for asking though. My eyes were fine. Luckily the 3M Speedglas helmet has shade 13 UV and IR protection regardless of the visible light shade or even whether the helmet is on or off.

yep i like "semi-auto". the Miller BWE is also 100% UV protected in the off state, not that i would ever forget to turn it on............ok but only 1 or 20 times
                      i think the new ones don't need to be turned on though.so full auto for them is ok.
                      thanks for the help
                      ......or..........
                      hope i helped
                      sigpic
                      JAMES

Comment

Originally posted by root View Post
                        Cool. Thanks for the input. The TA185 looks interesting. I hadn't seen it before. So I guess I have it narrowed down to the following (prices general based on quick searches).

1. Passport Plus ~$1550 with spoolgun (minus current $100 rebate)
                        2. TA185 ~$2350
                        3. Dynasty 200 DX ~$3250 for machine + "kit"

Part me thinks I should get a TIG because I may want to do more, and then I'd end up having to buy one later. There have been many times I've bought something that did what I needed at the time only to kick myself later as I have a need which the tool wasn't capable of handling, so I ended up "upgrading" and losing money in the process. On the other hand, maybe the Passport Plus really can do everything I need. But I don't know if I can judge that until I can really weld myself and start playing around
                        but then you can just say "Well honey I know I bought this but I need a new one to build you a nice... coffe table!" bla bla bla "Oh you dont drink coffe?"
                        Miller Digital Elite inferno
                        Miller MP-10 passive helmet
                        Hobart Stickmate 250/160 ac/dc

Comment

Hello!
                          I bought the 200DX with the kit and it set me back a pretty penny. I really had hoped I could buy just a MIG for all my needs.(if the Spoolmatic could comfortably weld Aluminum pipe)

I would have loved to have bought the new Diversion TIG AND a Passport Plus for roughly the same price!

Thanks for the advice,
                          Jimi
                          Miller Dynasty 200DX

Comment

would have loved to have bought the new Diversion TIG AND a Passport Plus for roughly the same price!

that would be a nice combo, but the Diversion + with stick option and the passport + with spool gun will be even better.
                            thanks for the help
                            ......or..........
                            hope i helped
                            sigpic
                            JAMES

Comment

So true, so true. Might have to sell the Dynasty and get the Diversion 165 plus and the Passport Pro or MM212 (about the same price). You know the SG100 will work with the big machine, but is limited to the lower amps. SG100 is pretty much the 3035 with 8ft less welding cable/hose.

James
                              Miller Dynasty 200DX SOLD
                              WeldTec Water Cooler SOLD
                              Miller Millermatic 180 w/ Spoolmate 100
                              20Ton press
                              And lots of Cut-off and grinding wheels
                              www.IAGPERFORMANCE.com

Comment

Working...
                              X