No announcement yet.

Passport Pro and 16 gauge aluminum?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

generally speaking i don't dip the rod when doing aluminum. i swipe the tip across the puddle at a very low angle. This seems to help avoid tung contamination and melting of the rod before it gets to the puddle. Its more of a circular motion than a back and forth. i find it much easier then dipping in and out.
    Dynasty 200 DX
    Millermatic 175
    Spectrum 375
    All kinds of Smith OA gear

Comment

Laiky: Thanks for joining in. As I've found, you can't say something without getting questions.
      Being self taught, tricks are hard to come by.

Down, toward you, through the puddle?

Or, up, away from you?

Are you able to scratch it along the base metal, thru the puddle? This would help me stop the wobbling.

PS OK, it's after midnight and I just saw this:
      "Its more of a circular motion than a back and forth."
      Last edited by Craig in Denver; 02-01-2008, 01:10 AM. Reason: Added PS
      RETIRED desk jockey.

Hobby weldor with a little training.

Craftsman O/A---Flat, Vert, Ovhd, Horz.

Miller Syncrowave 250.
      sigpic

Comment

Craig in Denver well put. it all looks so easy till you try to juggle it all at once, did you mention you are also working the foot peddle during all this to try to control the heat.

i tend to tweak my torch back as i slid in the filler from the front.
        touching the filler to the work is fine, helps you get to the leading edge of the puddle before it melts. if you keep the filler at the front edge its in the gas flow but not so much heat as to melt away. you can also lay the filler over the joint and run the torch over it melting the filler into the joint. this makes thin stuff essayer as there is more mas for the arc to melt, making melt threw less likely. keep in mind you still have to make shore you get enough heat to melt the base metal or you are just melting filler on the joint, not a good thing. so be shore to keep the heat up and a large enough puddle to fuse the joint.
        a copper backing plate is helpful also, never tried it but its a good plan.
        thanks for the help
        ......or..........
        hope i helped
        sigpic
        feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
        summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
        JAMES

Comment

Originally posted by Craig in Denver View Post
          OK, yer into me for $500. This is fun. How many more questions ya got??
          Sorry. I think Laiky gets the $500. Thanks for playing.

Excellent information from everybody. Very much appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by root View Post
            Sorry. I think Laiky gets the $500. Thanks for playing.

Oh, I forgot about the pedal.
            RETIRED desk jockey.

Miller Syncrowave 250.
            sigpic

Comment

thats ok, i didnt get the $500.oo eather, not even a thanks for playing .

thanks for the help
              ......or..........
              hope i helped
              sigpic
              feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
              summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
              JAMES

Comment

No worries Craig and James! As with any good game show, there will be plenty more opportunities to win cash and prizes.

As for not thanking you for playing James, chaulk that up to my lazy patooty. I had penned the reply before I read what you had written and it was easier for me to click Submit than update my reply. You know I am highly grateful for all your input.

Comment

Consolation prize

Don't worry, fun4now; there's an upside......

Laiky's buying and I get a 252. What do you want?
                  RETIRED desk jockey.

Miller Syncrowave 250.
                  sigpic

Comment

don't sweat it. i was just given ya Pooh. i don't feel unappreciated and hurt.
                    its all in fun.
                    thanks for the help
                    ......or..........
                    hope i helped
                    sigpic
                    JAMES

Comment

Originally posted by fun4now View Post
                      its all in fun.
                      Indeed.

A jest in jest is always the best. I don't know what that means, but it just rolled off my fingers and has a catchy rhythm to it.

Now I just need my equipment to arrive so I can show off my mad skilz.

Comment

Originally posted by Craig in Denver View Post
                        PS When I started TIG, I watched the pro at the motorcycle shop using 1/16" rod. He made it look easy (sound familiar?). I spent many hours throwing my torch at the garage door, until I tried 3/32". Holy cwap, what a difference! That day, I said to myself; "Hey, I can weld aluminum!"
                        I momentarily resurrect this thread in order to award Craig In Denver a $500 prize. (See I told you there would be more opportunities)

I was having trouble adding rod, the "called for" 1/16" giving the thickness of my material, etc. Couldn't get it, couldn't get it. Thought to myself "ok, let's try that 3/32" rod". Bingo. Suddenly I wasn't totally bad. It gave me time to find a rhythm. I used that for a little bit and then went back to 1/16th rod and did much better with it.

Comment

And James gets a $500 prize for suggesting the TA185. Nice machine. Someday I may want more (still think the Dynasty DX is teh sxy), but this is a great TIG for me right now and I'm very pleased with it.

Comment

And James gets a $500 prize for suggesting the TA185. Nice machine
                            great. they just shut off my propane and i could really use it, check's in the mail right.
                            i been very happy with my TA-185 also
                            thanks for the help
                            ......or..........
                            hope i helped
                            sigpic
                            JAMES

Comment

Originally posted by fun4now View Post
                              check's in the mail right.
                              As far as you know.

If you really do need some money (of course, beyond the $500 in prize money <cough>), I'd be happy to buy that snazzy cover for the TA185 you've got there in your picture. Seriously.

Comment

i shot ya a PM, the wife can make ya one like this only in black.
                                Attached Files
                                thanks for the help
                                ......or..........
                                hope i helped
                                sigpic
                                JAMES

Comment

Working...
                                X