MM140 and the MM180

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MM140 and the MM180

How much more machine will i be getting with the MM180 over the MM140?

about the difference between 1/8" and 1/4". the 140 is a nice little 120V MIG, but jumping up to the 180 will give you a lot more heat. the 140 should really stick to .025 wire the 180 could use .030
    grant it the 140 will run .030 wire, but its really best with .025
    depending on your usage the 180 could well be worth it. if you are just looking to use it around the house for lawn mower repairs and such the 140 will be fine. i have the MM135 and am very happy with it. knowing your limitations is important with these lil MIG's. stick to them and you will get a lot of use out of them with great results.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped
    sigpic
    feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Comment

Didn't you get the MM180 last week?
      George W. Bush was saving your butt whether you liked it or not!
      Fear is temporary, regret is forever
      HH210 with SG

Comment

I had a MM135 and recently sold it to get the MM180. Why? I work mostly on my Jeep and do a lot of stuff that is 1/4 to 5/16 and the MM135 just couldn't haul the mail in my unskilled hands.

First ask yourself what are you going to do and go from there.
        Don
        Scottsdale, AZ
        www.savagesun4x4.com

MillerMatic 211 AS
        Hypertherm PowerMax30
        Bernard 300 Amp Q Gun
        Bernard 200 Amp Q Gun
        Milwaukee Band-saw/stand
        10 Angle Grinders 8, 4 1/2" -2, 7"
        DeWalt Chop Saw
        Craftsman Twin-Blade Saw
        12 Ton Shop Press
        Optrel Satellite Helmet
        Miller Elite Helmet
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gsd34me View Post
          How much more machine will i be getting with the MM180 over the MM140?

40mm more

I thought ya got the MM180 already.
          Ed Conley
          http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
          MM252
          MM211
          Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
          TA185
          Miller 125c Plasma 120v
          O/A set
          SO 2020 Bender
          You can call me Bacchus

Comment

yeah guys i did already get the MM180 but a friend of mine is looking at the MM140 and i'm tryin to compare the 2 for him,He likes mine but he can only afford the smaller machine. ...........Tim

Comment

What kind of $ does he have...I see you also asked about the HH187.....it's been said and I'll say it again the HH187 is tops in the 180 amp class....and it is one of the best price wise also........how much is the MM140 your buddy is looking @....if nothing else he can get a 110v machine and use yours for the heavier stuff ......the HH187 is all of $75 more than a MM140.....
              Mike
              George W. Bush was saving your butt whether you liked it or not!
              Fear is temporary, regret is forever
              HH210 with SG

Comment

Have you friend buy a HH187 from www.toolking.com
                The refurb units were $519 shipped last time I checked. They're out of stock for now, but they'll get some more in.

http://www.toolking.com/hobartwelders_500525a.aspx
                Millermatic Passport Plus
                Millermatic 200

Millermatic 350P with Python
                XMT 304 /w S-64 feeder and 12VS
                Dynasty 300 DX
                Thermal Arc 400 MST
                Victor O/A
                Premier Power Welder for my trail junk.

Comment

yep the HH187 would be an excelent option.
                  thanks for the help
                  ......or..........
                  hope i helped
                  sigpic
                  feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
                  summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
                  JAMES

Comment

although many will argue with this, i don't see any good reason to buy a 110v mig unit. I have used a 110v lincoln and it was just frustrating, for a few bucks more you get the 220, and you can weld just about anything you will wan't to considering you're purchasing an entry level unit. With the 110v you will always be compensating in some way to get by with the reduced power. Keep in mind that if 100-200 dollars is what your friend is hung up on, he will be spending alot more on gas, wire, helmet etc. Once he gets the 220 he will have far greater capability for very little extra money.
                    Dynasty 200 DX
                    Millermatic 175
                    Spectrum 375
                    All kinds of Smith OA gear

Comment

Originally posted by Laiky View Post
                      although many will argue with this, i don't see any good reason to buy a 110v mig unit. I have used a 110v lincoln and it was just frustrating, for a few bucks more you get the 220, and you can weld just about anything you will wan't to considering you're purchasing an entry level unit. With the 110v you will always be compensating in some way to get by with the reduced power. Keep in mind that if 100-200 dollars is what your friend is hung up on, he will be spending alot more on gas, wire, helmet etc. Once he gets the 220 he will have far greater capability for very little extra money.
                      This is what we try to tell people that are looking to purchase their first welder.

Spend a little extra (not much extra is you buy a refurb HH187) and wire up a 230v circuit. A Millermatic 140 will cost more than a refurb HH187.

110v units are great to have when you have another 230v welder for thicker materials....
                      Millermatic Passport Plus
                      Millermatic 200

Millermatic 350P with Python
                      XMT 304 /w S-64 feeder and 12VS
                      Dynasty 300 DX
                      Thermal Arc 400 MST
                      Victor O/A
                      Premier Power Welder for my trail junk.

Comment

i would love to have a 110v unit for portable jobs but AFTER a mm251/2.
                        Dynasty 200 DX
                        Millermatic 175
                        Spectrum 375
                        All kinds of Smith OA gear

Comment

I am sure that many folks on here like myself have made the mistake of NOT buying up, thinking well not sure if I will ever use it that much capacity etc etc.

I knew shortly after I bought MM135 that it would not support my requirements. So I sold it and bought the MM180. It helped make me a better welder and I now REALLY enjoy my sport/hobby of Jeep and offroading.

I should have done this several years ago as the money saved by NOT having to "go get it welded" would have paid for the welder.

One factor that weighed in my not getting the MM180 up front was the lack of 220 in the garage. I feared having to pay big $$ to get it. But I came across a electrician who was a stand up guy. When I told him I wanted a dedicated 220 and 110 circuit and where I wanted it was directly behind the outside electric box...he lauged and said give me about 30 min, $50 bucks and be my helper and I will swing by here after my last job this week.

Guess I was lucky in that the "welding corner" of my shop is located right where the electric box sits on the other side of the wall. He had the run the wire approx 8 inches.
                          Don
                          Scottsdale, AZ
                          www.savagesun4x4.com

MillerMatic 211 AS
                          Hypertherm PowerMax30
                          Bernard 300 Amp Q Gun
                          Bernard 200 Amp Q Gun
                          Milwaukee Band-saw/stand
                          10 Angle Grinders 8, 4 1/2" -2, 7"
                          DeWalt Chop Saw
                          Craftsman Twin-Blade Saw
                          12 Ton Shop Press