Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A good hood for cheap?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    I have a new Miller that I was worried about getting damaged in the shop so I bought a used one (unknown mfg) at a garage sale for $25. It looked like new so I thought I'd give it a try. It has a push "ON" button on the left outside and a dial to set the dark shade next to it. It has a delay and sensitivity setting on the inside, uses two "AAA's".
    Its now the only one I use, I love it.
    I've seen them at my local welding supply for $67. Grizzly has them for $27 the last time I looked, same hood. Even the headgear is as good as my Miller.
    It has a gold color to it that seems to make the puddle easier to see.
    Go figure.
    David

    Comment


    • #17
      Hey If you wire driectly from the pole to your welder you cna save a bunch of money on those worthless breakers. Or better yet you could put some foil belween the welder and the leads off the power pole.


      Hey are any of you guys related to the guy who built this?? http://www.millerwelds.com/education...ead.php?t=2488

      ITS ONLY YOUR EYES! YOU ONLY GET ONE PAIR!

      Remember weld damage doesn't show up the next day it takes year.

      Hee Hee just messing with Yall. I know these guys are tring to save a buck but do it on something else.
      I BLEED MILLER BLUE!
      DoubleEdgeWelding@kc.rr.com
      GROUNDED IN FAITH!
      I have what my Big Bro JESUS has Blessed me with:
      Miller 251,Miller Syncro 180,Miller 625 Plasma Cutter
      Want to Buy a Miller PC-300
      ,
      Dayton 7"x12" Horiziontal Band Saw, Dewalt 14" Abrasive,& Cold Chop Saws,4' Box/Pan Brake,Also A Complete Wood Shop. Now alls I need is a bigger shop!

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by I Bleed Blue View Post

        ITS ONLY YOUR EYES! YOU ONLY GET ONE PAIR!

        Remember weld damage doesn't show up the next day it takes year.

        I know these guys are tring to save a buck but do it on something else.
        So, Miller's 69.00 hood is bad for us?
        Ed Conley
        http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
        MM252
        MM211
        Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
        TA185
        Miller 125c Plasma 120v
        O/A set
        SO 2020 Bender
        You can call me Bacchus

        Comment


        • #19
          I would buy the best one you could afford. You can never be too cheap when it comes to protecting your eyes. Some of the Auto Darkening helmets have a hard time adjusting to the light when your looking at the sun.
          I'm known alot people who have Speedglass helmets and love them.
          Bob

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by Broccoli1 View Post
            So, Miller's 69.00 hood is bad for us?
            Hey I can't even believe this is a topic of disscussion. If you can't afford the best maybe they should try wood working I hear its cheaper.Hee Hee
            I BLEED MILLER BLUE!
            DoubleEdgeWelding@kc.rr.com
            GROUNDED IN FAITH!
            I have what my Big Bro JESUS has Blessed me with:
            Miller 251,Miller Syncro 180,Miller 625 Plasma Cutter
            Want to Buy a Miller PC-300
            ,
            Dayton 7"x12" Horiziontal Band Saw, Dewalt 14" Abrasive,& Cold Chop Saws,4' Box/Pan Brake,Also A Complete Wood Shop. Now alls I need is a bigger shop!

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by 84ZMike View Post
              Check you hood for "leaks".....hold it up to a light or towards the sun etc.....check to see if any light is coming it around the lens....some have had this problem....another thing about the HF hood is it's short.....what I mean is the bottom part doesn't go down as far as others do so watch the angle of your head.....and a bright colored shirt can reflect under the hood and cause what happened to you.....I have the Northern tool cheap helmet as well as a Hobart....they both work fine the Hobart is more comfortable to wear and is clearer......the NT doesn't need to be turned on so I like that as I have a few times forgot to turn on the Hobart.....no worries as Broccoli stated you are protected in the "clear" stage....

              will do so Zmike.
              I suspect now that you mention it, that might be a problem if it were leaking in that manner.
              all in all as I said the bargain hood performed well. course I was trying to use the insert glass for a standard hood at first, just the glass!! kinna hard to tack with the right hand and hold the glass with the left. ( bad practises I know)

              +1 for the HF hood
              traded the MM180 in for a MM212
              lots room here for more machines like, a Plasma cutter oooohh yeah!
              tinkerer with many talents,master of none

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by Heavy D View Post
                Don't take chances with your eyes spend the money and get a good one. I like the jackson hoods you only get one pair of eyes
                I Totally agree with you Heavy D there are a few things you dont risk, like eyes and family jewels.

                it is common sense one does not look for the cheaper hood you research lens quality, reliability and comfort and share your findings
                Last edited by GMAN; 01-26-2008, 09:49 PM.
                A C T I O N ! ! !

                Comment


                • #23
                  Helmet Info.

                  I saw this thread and just wanted to add a few comments about auto-darkening filter (ADF) helmets. The original post states the helmet will be used for MIG welding. Most ADF helmets work well with MIG but you have to make sure that your lens speed is fast enough if you are doing a lot of starts or repetitive tack welding.

                  If you are doing a lot of tack welding, it is recommended that your lens has a reaction time of around 1/10,000 of a second or faster. It sounds like Toecutter may have had some eye fatigue from a slower switching speed based on his post that his eyes felt a little weird after a day of welding up a railing. Like he said, he did not get the arc flash after-affects, but most likely his eyes felt weird from a slower switching speed on a lot of arc starts. All of those starts with a slower switching speed can add up after a while to create eye fatigue.

                  Our Pro-Hobby variable shade helmets have a switching speed of 1/12,000 and list for $149 or $169 depending on if you buy one with graphics or not. Most of the time, the actual ‘street price’ is different than the list, but that varies on the distributor. Our helmets also carry a 2 Year Warranty from the date of purchase.

                  This post would be quite long if I went through all of the features, so I’ll keep it short and reply to any questions instead of going through everything. Hope this helps.

                  Thank You,
                  MillerHelmet
                  Eric Sommers
                  Product Specialist
                  Miller Electric Mfg Co

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by MillerHelmet View Post
                    I saw this thread and just wanted to add a few comments about auto-darkening filter (ADF) helmets. The original post states the helmet will be used for MIG welding. Most ADF helmets work well with MIG but you have to make sure that your lens speed is fast enough if you are doing a lot of starts or repetitive tack welding.

                    If you are doing a lot of tack welding, it is recommended that your lens has a reaction time of around 1/10,000 of a second or faster. It sounds like Toecutter may have had some eye fatigue from a slower switching speed based on his post that his eyes felt a little weird after a day of welding up a railing. Like he said, he did not get the arc flash after-affects, but most likely his eyes felt weird from a slower switching speed on a lot of arc starts. All of those starts with a slower switching speed can add up after a while to create eye fatigue.

                    Our Pro-Hobby variable shade helmets have a switching speed of 1/12,000 and list for $149 or $169 depending on if you buy one with graphics or not. Most of the time, the actual ‘street price’ is different than the list, but that varies on the distributor. Our helmets also carry a 2 Year Warranty from the date of purchase.

                    This post would be quite long if I went through all of the features, so I’ll keep it short and reply to any questions instead of going through everything. Hope this helps.

                    Thank You,
                    MillerHelmet
                    Where are they made?
                    Ed Conley
                    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
                    MM252
                    MM211
                    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
                    TA185
                    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
                    O/A set
                    SO 2020 Bender
                    You can call me Bacchus

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Miller Pro-hobby variable shade AD

                      Got mine for $116 from Indian Oxygen (IOC) on Ebay.

                      Originally posted by MillerHelmet View Post
                      Our Pro-Hobby variable shade helmets have a switching speed of 1/12,000 and list for $149 or $169 depending on if you buy one with graphics or not. Most of the time, the actual ‘street price’ is different than the list, but that varies on the distributor. Our helmets also carry a 2 Year Warranty from the date of purchase.
                      MillerHelmet

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Where are they made?

                        Broccoli1,

                        As with the majority of auto-darkening lenses on the market, our lenses are made over-seas. Our helmets are made in South Korea, which is currently regarded as the leader in development and manufacturing of LCD technology. Thank you for your question and please let me know if you have any others.

                        Thank You,
                        MillerHelmet
                        Eric Sommers
                        Product Specialist
                        Miller Electric Mfg Co

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          I love my hobart hood (same as xlix) but have recenly switched back to my fixed shade (i have been doing mostly bench TIG). I honesly believe you are better off learning how to use a good fixed shade over any AD helmet. There are plenty of times when the AD is an asset but likewise there are times when you can and should use a fixed shade. My opthamologist says that i should not use an AD. I have found the bigger window and better optical clarity with my fixed shade (old blue point 4x6).
                          Dynasty 200 DX
                          Millermatic 175
                          Spectrum 375
                          All kinds of Smith OA gear

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Good hood for cheap:

                            Buying my first Harley I was like a kid in a candy store. There it was brand new Harley Wide Glide. As Harley folks know there is LOTS of stuff you buy at the store besides a Harley.

                            Counter top is loaded with chrome doo dads and I am ready to check out,

                            Guy sez you are going to need a helmet you know. And in a very nice display to my right and directly in front of the cash register is a pyramid of $39.95 helmets. I had just spent $14k on my ride and about that much in goodies to be installed.

                            So I grab one of the helmets and ask as I am picking it up guess I will take this, is it any good? The burly man checking me out leaned over a bit and said "not really, but how much is your brain worth?" I looked at the helmet in my hand, then him and then the row of helmets on the shelf behind him..."how much are those?" $150, $250 and $367!" "I'll take the one for $367!"

                            Cheap don't come good and good don't come cheap and Harbor Fright does not do eyeballs.
                            Don
                            Scottsdale, AZ
                            www.savagesun4x4.com

                            MillerMatic 211 AS
                            Hypertherm PowerMax30
                            Bernard 300 Amp Q Gun
                            Bernard 200 Amp Q Gun
                            Milwaukee Band-saw/stand
                            10 Angle Grinders 8, 4 1/2" -2, 7"
                            DeWalt Chop Saw
                            Craftsman Twin-Blade Saw
                            12 Ton Shop Press
                            Optrel Satellite Helmet
                            Miller Elite Helmet
                            sigpic

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Miller helmet!
                              thank you for the Response. I know where my next hood will come from

                              Imma read up on that manuall that came with my HF hood, I dont think the switching times are in the range of the miller hood.
                              traded the MM180 in for a MM212
                              lots room here for more machines like, a Plasma cutter oooohh yeah!
                              tinkerer with many talents,master of none

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by toecutter View Post
                                Miller helmet!
                                thank you for the Response. I know where my next hood will come from

                                Imma read up on that manuall that came with my HF hood, I dont think the switching times are in the range of the miller hood.
                                shhhh.......


                                HF faster



                                Thank you Miller Helmet- best **** answer to the OP's question.

                                Now just make a Miller Hood in Green- the Mexican one don't count-

                                How bout' a green one with a Pint o' Guinness on the side?
                                Ed Conley
                                http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
                                MM252
                                MM211
                                Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
                                TA185
                                Miller 125c Plasma 120v
                                O/A set
                                SO 2020 Bender
                                You can call me Bacchus

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X