X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lindley
    started a topic Driveway Gate - opinions wanted

Driveway Gate - opinions wanted

NOTE: Updated with pictures of the finished project on 6/22/11. See far below.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am (re)building an 11 ft. gate for the driveway. I plan to re-use the 1yr old cedar fence boards that are already on it since they match the rest of the fence. I do not want a double-hinged gate split in the middle with two separate pivot points, but would rather have a single, wide gate with one pivot point.

Here is my first design of it. What do you think?

I was thinking about using 2" square tubing 0.125" wall. I do not mind a little "overkill". The wheel will support the weight on the free/un-hinged end.

Suggestions, critiques, ideas, etc, please.

Last edited by Lindley; 06-22-2011, 10:17 PM.

• Donald Branscom
    replied
    Nice job...good workmanship. Thanks for taking the time to show us your project.

Leave a comment:

• Bistineau
    replied
    Kudos

That gate looks mighty fine now. Should last years longer than the original wooden frame would have. I'm kinda disappointed to see you didn't put the spring suspension on it as was talked about. I was curious to see what you would come up with, but I now see what you you did. Much simpler design and fabrication. Those hinges look like they will do as good as or better than those $127 ones you showed, you saved big time going that route. Keep an eye on the air pressure in that wheel, or else the hinge post will carry all the weight. I did mention a solid wheel might be better in the long run. But that can be changed out later easily enough if need be.

Leave a comment:

• Lindley
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Lindley
    replied

I might trim out the lock port, but that's about it!

Thank you to everyone for all of your opinions and suggestions!

Leave a comment:

• Lindley
    replied

5/8" axle with brass spacer.

3/4" bolts w/ corresponding sized holes in hinges. Same 1/2" bar stock welded to bolts.

Unlike my previous gate, this one can be locked or unlocked from the front or the rear.

Leave a comment:

• Lindley
    replied
    3/8" plate

Hinge brackets are 1/2" bar stock.

This is the existing light post that I placed th 0.250" wall pipe over the top of and then filled with a wet sand mortar. To say that it was "solid" when I finished is an understatement.

Last edited by Lindley; 06-22-2011, 10:01 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Lindley
    replied
    All finished!

I guess that since this is the Miller WELDING forum, I have to start off with the obligatory close-ups of my welds. But honestly, I am really more pleased with the overall project as a whole than the welds alone. Although, I must say, the 211 is a very nice machine. I am running C-25 gas and 0.035" wire. I started with the Auto-set settings for 1/8", but I ended up reverting back to manual and running it a slightly hotter than what was recommended on the cover.

Last edited by Lindley; 06-22-2011, 09:59 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Lindley
    replied
    Originally posted by Doughboyracer View Post
    ...I wish I would have seen your "welding cart" before I bought mine...I have one of those lying around (child's shopping cart I presume?)...lol

Here is the original post about that, now with a few additions by others.

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...976#post250976

Leave a comment:

• Doughboyracer
    replied
    One note...

...I wish I would have seen your "welding cart" before I bought mine...I have one of those lying around (child's shopping cart I presume?)...lol

Leave a comment:

• mebuildit
    replied
    How high will that make the bottom of the gate?

Leave a comment:

• Lindley
    replied
    Originally posted by Doughboyracer View Post
    I would have added a piece of sq tube off the back so the gap at the bottom would not need to be so large and the the wheel is not as dominant from the "front." (Not too late...lol)

That's definitely not a bad idea. There are two things that I wanted:

1. I prefer to have an axial load on the wheel in order to prevent the gate from leaning forward. Yes, the hinges should keep it vertical, but a gate even swings more easily when the wheel is directly inline with the hinges. But I'm sure a little offset won't hurt much.

2. I have a narrow driveway. On the gates I have now, both of them have offset wheels. I have hit both of them pulling the boat in and out. It is very tight.

I am going to go look for a spring today and go from there. I'm not too worried about aesthetics... it's at the end of a long driveway with a much uglier gate of the neighbor's next to it.

This should explain why I don't want to offset it too much:

Last edited by Lindley; 06-17-2011, 10:39 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Doughboyracer
    replied
    I like it but...

I would have added a piece of sq tube off the back so the gap at the bottom would not need to be so large and the the wheel is not as dominant from the "front." (Not too late...lol)

Leave a comment:

• Lindley
    replied
    I finished up the frame today. Time to fab and install the wheel and hinges, then hang this thing.

After getting some good ideas on here, I decided to incorporate a few of them into a simplified design. For once in my life, I am going to keep it really simple. It will probably come out looking something like this:

The idea is to use a spring around a smaller sized piece of square tubing that slips into the vertical component on gate, which I left uncapped on the bottom. A generous portion f axle grease and it should be good to go!

Last edited by Lindley; 06-16-2011, 09:53 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Broccoli1
    replied
    Originally posted by mebuildit View Post
    you could use my idea for any uneven surface for your wheel.

I built my RV gate with this setup and works great
    You need a fender and a License plate

Leave a comment:

Working...
X