Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Driveway Gate - opinions wanted

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Donald Branscom View Post
    I like the wheel on the very end of the gate so it does not get much attention.
    Great find! I think I will try to mimic this design. I bough a wheel for $4 during Harbor Freight's sidewalk sale.

Comment

you could use my idea for any uneven surface for your wheel.

I built my RV gate with this setup and works great

Comment

Holy balls! You could take that bad boy offroad in the Baja 1000! Haha Great design.

I will have to show my wife this thread so she can see firsthand that I am not the only "extremistmaximus" (her words) out there.

Comment

Originally posted by mebuildit View Post

Not sure the cross strap is needed with the full skin welded to the frame. Nothing to "sag." The wheel makes it even more redundant.

Comment

I tried the cross strap to see if it would do anything for lateral suppert. It really doesn't do anything honestly. The gate is 11 1/2 feet wide and I didn't hsve the choice to make two gates due to structure limitations.
            I just went to my local bike shop and asked for a blown out mountain bike shock, since I only needed the spring set up. So $20 bucks later I came out with a Fox shock and a 400# spring. It works perfect!!

My saying was when I was building it was "it's only a gate" don't oer do it.

Comment

I tried the cross strap to see if it would do anything for lateral suppert. It really doesn't do anything honestly. The gate is 11 1/2 feet wide and I didn't hsve the choice to make two gates due to structure limitations.
              I just went to my local bike shop and asked for a blown out mountain bike shock, since I only needed the spring set up. So $20 bucks later I came out with a Fox shock and a 400# spring. It works perfect!!

My saying was when I was building it was "it's only a gate" don't oer do it.
              Did you try it w/o the wheel, or will the post not hold "her."

Comment

yeah I did try it with out the wheel and it was fine. I just didn't like all of that weight habging on the hinges even though they are just as strong too.
                Plus it gave it some bking bling too.

Comment

For a 12' span, I would focus on a good base for the hinged pillar and not have a wheel at all.

Comment

You need a fender and a License plate

Comment

I finished up the frame today. Time to fab and install the wheel and hinges, then hang this thing.

After getting some good ideas on here, I decided to incorporate a few of them into a simplified design. For once in my life, I am going to keep it really simple. It will probably come out looking something like this:

The idea is to use a spring around a smaller sized piece of square tubing that slips into the vertical component on gate, which I left uncapped on the bottom. A generous portion f axle grease and it should be good to go!

Last edited by Lindley; 06-16-2011, 09:53 PM.

Comment

I like it but...

I would have added a piece of sq tube off the back so the gap at the bottom would not need to be so large and the the wheel is not as dominant from the "front." (Not too late...lol)

Comment

Originally posted by Doughboyracer View Post
                          I would have added a piece of sq tube off the back so the gap at the bottom would not need to be so large and the the wheel is not as dominant from the "front." (Not too late...lol)

That's definitely not a bad idea. There are two things that I wanted:

1. I prefer to have an axial load on the wheel in order to prevent the gate from leaning forward. Yes, the hinges should keep it vertical, but a gate even swings more easily when the wheel is directly inline with the hinges. But I'm sure a little offset won't hurt much.

2. I have a narrow driveway. On the gates I have now, both of them have offset wheels. I have hit both of them pulling the boat in and out. It is very tight.

I am going to go look for a spring today and go from there. I'm not too worried about aesthetics... it's at the end of a long driveway with a much uglier gate of the neighbor's next to it.

This should explain why I don't want to offset it too much:

Last edited by Lindley; 06-17-2011, 10:39 AM.

Comment

How high will that make the bottom of the gate?

Comment

One note...

...I wish I would have seen your "welding cart" before I bought mine...I have one of those lying around (child's shopping cart I presume?)...lol

Comment

Originally posted by Doughboyracer View Post
                                ...I wish I would have seen your "welding cart" before I bought mine...I have one of those lying around (child's shopping cart I presume?)...lol

Here is the original post about that, now with a few additions by others.

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...976#post250976

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.