Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Electric Question

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electric Question

All I have right now is an electric drier outlet thatís not the same plug configuration needed for the MM180. So I bought a 6í 10gauge 30 amp drier cord for a pig tail, connected the power outlet (wall receptacle) to it that the welding shop told me to use, My question is: is this all I need, to then plug in the 25í 8/3 extension cord for my MM180 ? The MM180 cord is 12/3
    Will this be safe to use..

Thanks
    Fab Tech

Well.....

The short answer to your question is: yes, it is safe.

The long answer: The friction connectors are susceptible to loosening and making a poor contact. Inspect your connectors regularly (under load, if possible) for signs of heat. Other than that, go on ahead.

Good luck.

Comment

My first career was as an industrial and commercial electrician. If the dryer receptical was all I had; that's exactly how I would do it. How ever, if access to the panel wasn't too much hassle, I would make a dedicated welder outlet. Perhaps a local electrician would trade out the work for some welding. Just my 2c.

Comment

Thanks guys for your feed back, in the morning Iíll cut up some 1X1 tubing and fire up this pup, do a few tack welds and see how this works out. For my first welding project, it will be a welding cart, :-) Oh ya Iíll have photos too LOL.

Fab Tech

Comment

Working...
        X
        Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.