O/A cart - something a bit different

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by EdZep View Post
    Jim, I have since moved it 25 degrees or so to the front, having nearly clipped it at the side, while moving the cart. Being able to read the gauges from just the back side is an issue. Unlike the side clip, I can't imagine what would be falling on it. What do you have in mind?
    Something with "Murphy" written on it.

Comment

You've never had anything fall on you? Off a shelf, off a truck, off another part you thought was clamped firmly enough...

Murphy is a real ***** when the braking force is explosive (braking as in stopping - not breaking as in broken).

Call me paranoid, but I would put a bar over your tanks to protect the valves from falling objects. Acetylene is no joke.
      Syncrowave 250DX
      Invison 354MP
      XR Control and 30A

Airco MED20 feeder
      Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 81
      Smith O/A rig
      And more machinery than you can shake a 7018 rod at

Comment

Of course, I get that...

Originally posted by AnotherDano View Post
        Something with "Murphy" written on it.
        But, I don't see why it's more likely to have something fall on it there, that rotated around. And, with the gauges way back there, they could hit if the cart was driven right up to a wall. It seems that, any way you look at it, there's some risk to the gauges. And, most importantly, they have to be readable.

Comment

The first pic you posted with the gauges they were both aimed to the left. If you rotate the acetylene to the right 180, then both of them are inboard of the 4 sides. If something fell from above, it would hit your oxygen valve first.

As bad as having a 3000psi tank bust a valve off is, I would rather deal with the rocket than the big BOOM you would incur with the acetylene seeing the same fate.
          Syncrowave 250DX
          Invison 354MP
          XR Control and 30A

Airco MED20 feeder
          Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 81
          Smith O/A rig
          And more machinery than you can shake a 7018 rod at

Comment

Originally posted by Fishy Jim View Post
            The first pic you posted with the gauges they were both aimed to the left. If you rotate the acetylene to the right 180, then both of them are inboard of the 4 sides. If something fell from above, it would hit your oxygen valve first.

As bad as having a 3000psi tank bust a valve off is, I would rather deal with the rocket than the big BOOM you would incur with the acetylene seeing the same fate.
            How very true. An oxygen bottle will go through the roof of your garage and possible your house and be rocketing it's way towrds freedom in under a couple seconds leaving most of the place intact. Acetylene won't be so forgiving. It will level you'r house and destroy everything inside. Out of every tool and machine in a shop that can kill or mame you acetylene is usualy the most dangerous thing you will find.

Comment

Originally posted by Anti-GMAW View Post
              Out of every tool and machine in a shop that can kill or mame you acetylene is usualy the most dangerous thing you will find.
              I agree BIG time..

But I've got this brother-in-law that could be a close second...

Comment

Done, and done

OK, Jim, I took your advice. Acetylene gauges are not well positioned, but can be viewed. I finally got around to doing the initial task that prompted purchase of the setup (dewarpifying the frame of another project). Thank you for the suggestion.

Originally posted by Fishy Jim View Post
                Do yourself a favor and rotate your acetylene tank 180 degrees to get the regulator out of the path of danger. You don't want that valve subject to anything falling on it, and right now you've added a lever.

Comment

Originally posted by AnotherDano View Post
                  I agree BIG time..

But I've got this brother-in-law that could be a close second...
                  90% of the time the guys I work with a re very profesional and safe about there jobs but it seems like none of them know safe tank handling practices. Out of all the stupid things I've seen peeple do with pressure cylinders and fuel gases the guys in my shop seem to be the worst!

Comment

Nice , I think it is way over built . Just kidding , real nice work . Murphy can get you when you least expect it . Dan
                    Tools to Men are like Shoes to Women you can never have too many .
                    Miller XMT-304
                    Miller Spectrum 2050
                    Miller 10-E Feeder
                    Hobart 175 Handler
                    Lincoln AC225
                    And assorted others

Comment

Working...
                    X