Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Maybe your favorite, but what do you use most?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maybe your favorite, but what do you use most?

I saw the pole on favorite processes and I think it's a little too late for that question as I think we can all agree that tig is our favorite process and the results have shown that else where. However, what I and perhaps maybe you would like to know is "what process do you use most" at work and at home. This may prove to be interesting?

TacMig
    GMAW
    52.38%
    GTAW
    16.67%
    SMAW
    19.05%
    SAW
    4.76%
    A/O
    2.38%
    SPOT
    0.00%
    OTHER
    4.76%

I use stick and TIG at work and at home but stick gets used the most.

Comment

So Far The Mig Was Use For The Big Stuff
      (trailers ,tools, Benches.....) But In A Near Future I Probably Use The Tig More Fore The Custom Made Furnitures And Smaller Projects ( Art , Sculpture) And I Will Fit The Regulator On The Oxy-acetylene Maybe Tonight ( Brand New Set) .
      I Am Starting A Tig Course Tomorrow .

Comment

when i was working we used mig for eveything, at home i use my fluxcore machine

Comment

new TIG, want to use it more

my MIG gets the most use but i am hoping to get more TIG done. aluminum is much more $$ so i don't have access to it as much. probably all the repair stuff around the house has been MIG and or flux-core. but for artsy fartsy stuff i'm working on now TIG. (till i run out of aluminum )
          i only weld at home not for work.

Comment

Love to fire up the Tig..... .but gotta give it to the speedy Mig for quick metal fab.
            Jim

Comment

Almost 100%of my biz brought to me is tig on aluminum. The rest is spoolgun aluminum and a little stainless tig.
              It's just what I went looking for and only that would do. So that is now all I get asked to do!!
              For me on my own stuff playing with steel is a real treat...sorta weird in a backwards kinda way I know, but true nontheless.

Comment

That makes two of us!

Originally posted by FusionKing View Post
                Almost 100%of my biz brought to me is tig on aluminum. The rest is spoolgun aluminum and a little stainless tig.
                It's just what I went looking for and only that would do. So that is now all I get asked to do!!
                For me on my own stuff playing with steel is a real treat...sorta weird in a backwards kinda way I know, but true nontheless.
                For the past 27 years or so all I have really ever done is steel. I have a couple of guys that work for me and are really talented with AL, Stainless and sheet. But for me, make it steel please. And after all those years of stick'n and mig'n I've finally learned how to tig. But still I would have to improve just to suck at it. In any event I hang around here a lot and have learned a ton about tig and AL without having to embarrass myself by asking the guys that work for me I know they are here somewhere, can't hide secrets for too long..

TacMig

Comment

OA for me

I have almost every technology at my disposal, and for my work on antique cars, aircraft, motorcycles, and doing modern sheet aluminum fabrication, cant beat the torch.

-Aaron

Comment

I use my mig more than my little stick , cause the little stick is in my blacksmith shop to tack stuff up. I like tigging but don`t get to unless i use my cousin`s tig . Also like oxy-fuel (brazing ) with my little Harris port-a-torch set! (guess cause its kinda like tigging)
                    Last edited by wireburner; 01-23-2008, 05:06 AM.

Comment

At work, in the shop its all MIG. All aluminum is heavy ramps so the spool guns work good. On the road, its stick. [2 Miller big blue air pacs and 4 Bobcat 225Ds]

At home, [my shop], Tig and MIg run close. I do alot of aluminum repairs, marine/boat stuff, so TIG is used a bunch, but I also repair trailers, farm equipment etc, so the MIG gets used a bunch. I have a Bobcat 225D that I never use since I only work in the shop.

Comment

Originally posted by HMW View Post
                        At work, in the shop its all MIG. All aluminum is heavy ramps so the spool guns work good. On the road, its stick. [2 Miller big blue air pacs and 4 Bobcat 225Ds]

At home, [my shop], Tig and MIg run close. I do alot of aluminum repairs, marine/boat stuff, so TIG is used a bunch, but I also repair trailers, farm equipment etc, so the MIG gets used a bunch. I have a Bobcat 225D that I never use since I only work in the shop.

dang you got alot of engine drives there

Comment

ha ha, We have 5 road service trucks [1 spare bobcat]. We take care of a fleet of electric utillity trucks, 450+ vehicles [bucket trucks, derricks, trenchers, etc] always plenty to work on The air pacs are awesome, built in rotary screw compressor and can jump start anything.

Comment

No listing for FCAW

I have burned 150# of .072 FC since January 1st.

Comment

I use stick more than any other. I don't have access to a MIG at work, just the Thunderbolt, Ranger 8, and an old Forney that's still goin strong after 40+ years of service. I do occasionally use a MIG at the school, we have 2 MM185s and a MM210, but i rarely use them unless i'm in a hurry or doing alot of stuff with small materials.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.