Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

New and Thankful

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New and Thankful

This mym third tyime tryung tio postin some thing on this board.i amam machinist if 37+years and can't work awhat i do0. I amj looking farward to listenging askingm nebe questions.
    Iam impressed with trure lovee of the trade. Thax Again Duaty Deed River,Connticut

just a suggestion you should try to work on you spelling. i am not trying to offend you, but i could not read your post

Comment

Originally posted by dusty019 View Post
      This mym third tyime tryung tio postin some thing on this board.i amam machinist if 37+years and can't work awhat i do0. I amj looking farward to listenging askingm nebe questions.
      Iam impressed with trure lovee of the trade. Thax Again Duaty Deed River,Connticut
      Cant type or cant spell dont know what you are saying

Comment

I understand you..

Sounds as if you are a machinist with 37+ years under your belt unable to work and on your third attempt at posting to the boards? Looks like you made it! I hope you are O.K. perhaps a disability? If so, you just go right ahead and type your best and we will figure it out, if not type away anyway and will figure it out just the same. Lots of great guys here and even a few gals that contribute a lot of knowledge as you know. Don't be intimidated by anyone or anything and welcome to this board.

TacMig

Comment

welcome ..............

welcome dusty .............................
          It's an honor having you join the board. Hope you enjoy some good conversation, just don't take everything you hear people saying to heart. Opinions are like ********, everyone's got one. nice to meet ya bud.

Comment

Welcome Dusty,
            Just do your best to post and I am sure everyone here will do their best to help.
            What type of welding process are you leaning towards?

Comment

Welcome aboard I am still new also. Your Machinist experience will be a welcome addition to the board. Lots of great reading and information to be had.

Paul

Comment

Wow,what a response.

Thanx for all the come backs. Sorry about the spelling,new laptop,and I usally ask the wife to type things for me. Will try my best.
                I tried to use spell check and things went all weird.
                I have a Hobart 175 and Oxy\Acce. Tube bender,pipe bender,in process of building a 30" brake.
                Have been on Hobart forum and they seemed to be a bit hi-browed for me,no offence.
                Some of the projects I will be under taking- airboat,minibuggy (900cc) ,Garden rover for wife using hyrostatic trans from Cub Cadet with dump body. As well as honey do's.Thanx again ladies and gents,looking forward to your input,Dusty

Comment

Wow..

You have a lot of work on your plate. Sounds like some great projects too! I've never been to the Hobart boards but I have read a lot of mixed comments here. Anyway, welcome again, glad you got your computer up and going and jump in any time with your questions and your help. Also we all love pictures, so as you're doing your projects take plenty it's a good way to show us what you're up too and steal some of your ideas

TacMig

Comment

Well, I hope the first 2 posters feel like @#$%!
                    Anyway, welcome Dusty. I've worked with many long term machinists and look forward to picking your brain.

Comment

hey i did not mean it that way! but sorry but anyways welcome to the miller fourm

Comment

busy...busy..........busy

sounds like you got alot of work to do. sounds like fun. what size tubing can you bend? how do you fishmouth your tubing? what do they usually use for power plants in airboats? I can't imagine the power plant and propeller being cheap. What a ride that would be.......... 900cc mini buggy, wow, you'll have to put a sign on it that says " MUST SIGN WAIVER BEFORE TEST DRIVE" LOL. you must be putting alot of thought process into the suspension. the garden rover sounds very interesting. I don't know much about cub cadets. most of the work ive done with hydraulics have been on large equiptment. case/bobcats being about the smallest. If I had a choice between changing a hydrostatic motor on an excavator or on a bobcat, I'd pick the excavator. case/bobcats are compact little son of a _______, a real treat to work on. I couldn't imagine working on them all day long. the front and rear tires on the left side are conected with a massive chain, the same for the right side, each side having it's own hydrostatic motor. so to get a hydrostatic motor out you have to split the chain. here's the catch..............
                        the small rectangle access hole has only enough room for 1 arm or a flashlight, being you have to reach down so deep, up past your elbows and armpits. the walls on the sides of the chain are also narrow. making it hard to remove the chain with normal tools. so there you are, blind, one armed, and toolless. after the chain you still have to take the motor out, the same hole. while making sure the chain doesn't back off the rear sprocket. it's not hard just a pain in the ***. pulling a main hyd. pump out of an excavator out in the bush seemed easier. we would put a garbage bag over the hyd. filter, plug it back in and it would act like a plug. making it possible to remove the pump without draining the whole hyd. reservoir. remove hoses and lines and bolts and she's out. The hardest part is the angle at which the pump slides out, it's an awkward hoisting angle. usually an extension is made to fit a fork on a fork lift. putting it back in, now thats anouther chapter. I havent been in my shop (or should I say shed lol) since x-mass. I think hanging all the x-mass lights killed me. you got me motivated, I think Ill spend the day out there tomorrow. I'd like to learn more about the prodjects your planning on doing. I very interested in tube benders and notchers. I just don't have the room yet. the plan is to make things out of aluminum to raise the money for the bender and notcher. then I'll get into making frames. then comes all the sheet metal tools like english wheels etc. etc. the list will never end. then comes the big tools ..lol.lol... CNC machines etc. then mabey one day I'll have my fedex moment, riding my dream bobber all the way to the Barret Jackson auction. sound like a pipe dream? lol well it's my pipe dream...............the bender is my dream rait now lol....then comes the bike. once I'm back to work it should only take 4 - 6 months to save up for my bike. I plan to weld on the side as well. I hope it goes that smooth. you know what would go huge up here in B.C.? river jet boats. tourism is huge money here. pontoon boats are also a good idea for this area with the thousands of lakes around. I was checking out this site looking at the suspension. http://www.rorty-design.com/content/...ing_photos.htm
                        Last edited by Dustyhaze75; 01-22-2008, 07:03 PM. Reason: link added

Comment

Originally posted by dusty019 View Post
                          Thanx for all the come backs. Sorry about the spelling,new laptop,and I usally ask the wife to type things for me. Will try my best.
                          I tried to use spell check and things went all weird.
                          I have a Hobart 175 and Oxy\Acce. Tube bender,pipe bender,in process of building a 30" brake.
                          Have been on Hobart forum and they seemed to be a bit hi-browed for me,no offence.
                          Some of the projects I will be under taking- airboat,minibuggy (900cc) ,Garden rover for wife using hyrostatic trans from Cub Cadet with dump body. As well as honey do's.Thanx again ladies and gents,looking forward to your input,Dusty
                          Welcome. You future projects are my kind of meat. If you can put a motor
                          on it, then it's cool. Back in the 70s I built a hovercraft with plans from Universal Hovercraft. It was neet to build, but very impractical for where I lived. Sold it to the first guy who saw it. Be sure to post pics of your projects. I'm getting really bored of BBQs made out of old drums.
                          Be sure to visit our projects gallery. Lots of good stuff there. Its in the green box top right of page.

Comment

welcome, and dont worry about the typing, most of us use our hands to repair, weld or build things, not type Lots of smart people here, good info and being a machinist Im sure we'll have questions for you

Comment

Welcome, I too am terrible at typing and hate computers, but then again I'm only a welder/mechanic. This forum has a wealth of knowledge on it and some of the best people you could ever hope to meet. Machinists are a viable asset here WELCOME

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.