Dirt Bike Rim Repair

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dirt Bike Rim Repair

This thread has been posted for entertainment only.
    I do not recommend the repair of rims.

After dirt bike riding on the weekend I was cleaning the bike and discovered 3 small cracks in the rear rim of my KTM.
    This is a Excel ali rim.
    Two of the cracks were near the original welded joint, the other was in a section of the rim that had been bulged, most likely from landing on a rock.

I power wire brushed the rim to clean away all the dirt, rubber and contaminants.
    I then placed the rim in a 20 ton press and removed the bulge.

Ji
    Attached Files
    Grip it and Rip it

With a grinding stone the cracks were Veed on both sides then TIG welded.

Ji
    Attached Files
    Grip it and Rip it

Comment

Nice fix...Bob
      Bob Wright

Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
      http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Comment

Thanks Bob.

I will post a picture of the polished rim when I can get a good image of it.
        I took some yesterday after a few minutes sanding but it is just like looking into a bright light.

I will have another go today.

Very pleased with the result.
        KTM sell this rim here in Australia for $617.00.
        Our spoke guy can drill out a blank rim for $320.00.
        And there is a chap selling a rim on Ebay for $270.00 delivered.

Seeing how the rim cracked away from the original joint this leads me to believe that the ali is fatigued and will just crack somewhere else. I will monitor the rim as I do all the critical parts and replace it if it happens again.

Ji
        Grip it and Rip it

Comment

I wouldn't worry about the repair. Welding on an alum wheel is proper as long as its done right. I have plenty of links for repairs but can't seem to find any except for heresay that says you can't weld them...Bob
          Bob Wright

Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
          http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Comment

Hi Bob,
            I agree that some may have gone too far.
            The flange is folded back on itself and over the years the gap fills with dirt and oxidation.
            When grinding the Vee you don't see the gap or the dirt, but when the arc starts the filth floats up.
            I stop, grind or wire brush and start up again, until I am welding clean ali.

Old DID rims get pretty bad after a few years and their ali starts to flake. Virtually impossible to weld.

Ji
            Grip it and Rip it

Comment

Where as I don't blame you for trying to fix what you have considering the prices you quoted. Hopefully that is a complete wheel but you should be able to get a bare rim for around a hundred bucks or so and I have seen them on e-bay for between 50 and $100. You need to check out MotoSport.com I'm sure they will ship over seas here is a link to a page I just went to and it shows Excel Pro complete wheel spokes and hub for 285.00 brand new. They have several other brands some cheaper, some more but they have it all with pretty good pricing on just about everything. http://www.motosport.com/dirtbike/pr...EEL/?id=108733

When we were racing I fixed a lot of them some worst than the ones you posted but once they start cracking they are never right anymore. I used them for spare wheels and for races at wet sandy tracks where we needed a special tire that was only good for that kind of duty. It's good to have a spare wheel or two anyway because those sandy tracks are heck on the finish of those pretty shiny yellow and blue wheels we ran when I could afford them.
              Dynasty 300 DX
              Tig Runner cart with Coolmate 3
              Millermatic 252
              Spoolmatic 30A
              Lincoln Idealarc 250
              Nedeman moble fume extraction system
              Digital Elite
              Aircrafter welding positioner
              Bridgeport Mill
              Mini lathe
              4'X9' 4000lb lift table with 11/4" thick Aluminum table top
              Enerpac STB Hydraulic over air tubing and pipe bender
              4X6 band saw
              chop saw
              Dewalt porta band saw
              71/2' X 71/2' powder coat oven
              4'x4' powder coat oven
              grinders, grinders, and more grinders

Comment

Hi mx842,
                Those prices I quoted were for just a bare rim.
                No spokes, nipples, hub or lacing.
                The rims in the States are cheaper than here but the postage is the killer.
                A rim costs another $100.00US to post.

I do agree that I think when they start cracking they will not stop.
                It will be a fatigue issue.

Ji
                Grip it and Rip it

Comment

Attached is a link that shows the kind of prices we have to pay for MX wheels and rims.

http://www.ballards.cc/catalogue-2011

Ji
                  Grip it and Rip it

Comment

Nice work Ji, I think the fix is well worth a try. If it continues to crack the effects will not be catastrophic. You've lost nothing.

Gord
                    http://gordsgarage.wordpress.com

Comment

Hi Gord,
                      The pro wheel builders here do weld up cracked rims.
                      They don't guarantee the repair mainly due to risk but also because the end result is silver ali not gold or what ever the rim colour was.
                      Also I think if another crack appears somewhere else the client wants that repaired for free.

I agree with you I have seen some awesome cracked rims and guys still jumping on them.
                      The spokes really do an great job.

Ji
                      Grip it and Rip it

Comment

I finally was able to get the light right for the attached image.
                        I used a belt sander with a very course grit to reduce the bead. I then used some 240 wet and dry to level the surface.
                        I get lazy so this could be like a mirror but whats the point the rest of the rim is all scratch up.
                        You can see the different grain direction from the weld to the base material.
                        I think rims are made from series 7000 ali.

Ji
                        Attached Files
                        Grip it and Rip it

Comment

Ride that puppy. It looks good, thanks for the link that is a neat catalog. I still can't see the shipping being that much to make it not worth looking here in the States for some of your needs. I sell on e-bay sometimes and although it may take a little longer the shipping prices are not bad for most items that are regular in size.
                          Keep her in the powerband and ride!
                          Dynasty 300 DX
                          Millermatic 252
                          Spoolmatic 30A
                          Lincoln Idealarc 250
                          Digital Elite
                          Bridgeport Mill
                          Mini lathe
                          4X6 band saw
                          chop saw
                          Dewalt porta band saw
                          4'x4' powder coat oven

Comment

Hi mx,
                            Check out that web site you posted they even state the postage cost for oversized goods will be more and to contact them first for a quote.
                            I have imported bike engines from the States and they have costed $300.00US with UPS.

Ji
                            Grip it and Rip it

Comment

You may be right I was just going by some stuff I have shipped over seas and it didn't seem all that bad. I always use the USPS though. Also I'm not sure that a bear rim would be considered over sized. The box it would come in wouldn't be much more than 24" square and 5" high but I have never shipped a rim over there. If you could get the rim in a box that sized and I figured 5 lbs for the weight, the package should not be much over $45.00 US to you. But then again I'm not the shipper so I can't say what they might try to charge. I'm not trying to give you a hard time I was just trying to give a fellow roost slinger a heads up on where you might be able to get a little better bang for your buck. But hey, now that it's all welded up what does it matter? lol
                              Dynasty 300 DX
                              Millermatic 252
                              Spoolmatic 30A
                              Lincoln Idealarc 250
                              Digital Elite
                              Bridgeport Mill
                              Mini lathe
                              4X6 band saw
                              chop saw
                              Dewalt porta band saw
                              4'x4' powder coat oven

Comment

Working...
                              X