Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dirt Bike Rim Repair

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi mx,
    Thanks for all your help.
    Our next ride is next weekend so that should be a good test.

Yesterday and today been freeing up seized spoke nipples on a friends bike.
    When I started they were all locked. I have now removed, cleaned, greased and installed 16 of the 32.
    8 are still seized, while there is another 8 yet to try.
    Very time consuming.
    Half the spokes are rattling in the rim which lead to a flat spot and the welded joint in the rim cracking badly. Once all the spokes are free and usable again I will press the buckle out and try and weld up the cracks.

Ji

Comment

Mioght have a look at Thumper Talk and go to the retail parts store. Excell rims are pretty cheap, I have a YZ 250 2 stroke and it likes to crack rims and tear up hubs, you can get em with or without a spoke kit. They are about as cheap as anybody and ship world wide. Definately less than you were quoted in the original posts.
      Bob

Comment

Just use steel rims from now on. End of story.

BTW you don't buy those $1500.00 dollar exhaust systems too do you?

Comment

Originally posted by Jigantor View Post
          Hi mx,
          Thanks for all your help.
          Our next ride is next weekend so that should be a good test.

Yesterday and today been freeing up seized spoke nipples on a friends bike.
          When I started they were all locked. I have now removed, cleaned, greased and installed 16 of the 32.
          8 are still seized, while there is another 8 yet to try.
          Very time consuming.
          Half the spokes are rattling in the rim which lead to a flat spot and the welded joint in the rim cracking badly. Once all the spokes are free and usable again I will press the buckle out and try and weld up the cracks.

Ji
          It is a lot faster and better to just cut all the spokes with a bolt cutter and put in new spokes and nipples. Saves money and time.

Comment

Hi Rbeckett,
            Thanks for the link

Ji

Comment

Hi Donald,
              I have steel rims on my 1973 CZ 400.

No I just use the pipe that comes with the bike.
              I can stay with and some times pass the bikes with all that junk on them.

Ji

Comment

Hi Donald,
                Yes you are correct the time it takes to free up seized spokes it is easily to just buy new ones. I just freed up all 32 rear wheel spokes for a 15 year old who does not have the money to buy new spokes. If it was mine the job would have taken ten minutes but a can of penetration oil and a day later they were all free turning and the wheel trued up perfect.

Ji

Comment

Have you ridden it yet?

Comment

Originally posted by Jigantor View Post
                    Hi Donald,
                    Yes you are correct the time it takes to free up seized spokes it is easily to just buy new ones. I just freed up all 32 rear wheel spokes for a 15 year old who does not have the money to buy new spokes. If it was mine the job would have taken ten minutes but a can of penetration oil and a day later they were all free turning and the wheel trued up perfect.

Ji
                    A CZ 400 for a 15 year old? WOW!!!

Comment

Hey Donald,
                      I said
                      "I have steel rims on my 1973 CZ 400"

Ji

Comment

Hi Spotsineyes,
                        No I have not.
                        I have to wait for the next ride.
                        We live in a city and there is no where to ride within 2 hours.
                        Next ride is in two weeks.

Ji

Comment

Excel rims are made from 7050 alloy.
                          This is straight from the data sheets.
                          I used 5356 in the repairs.

"Welding of 7050 alloy is a problem and should be avoided. Gas tungsten or gas metal arc welding is NOT successful with this alloy. Weld cracking and porosity usually result and any weld joint that is made is much weaker than the parent metal"

Ji

Comment

Just got back from two days blasting over rocks and logs.
                            The two rear Excel rims that I repaired showed no sign of problems.
                            We inspected the rims after every loop and were happierly surprised not to see a reappearance of the cracks.
                            I think tightening the spokes and truing the wheels helped a lot.

Ji

Comment

Rim repair before and after the high pressure water clean.

Ji
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.