Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

First welder / Millermatic® 252

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First welder / Millermatic® 252

I'm starting school in may and thinking about buying my first welder. So while going to school I can learn on my own welder at home. I am thinking of getting the 252. I would like to buy just one mig welder if I can. But I am not sure if this would be a good all around welder. I will be mostly welding things related to my jeep project ie: motor mounts, suspension, and axle. So i definitely want a welder that can weld more than adequately for me but still be able weld sheet metal.

So is the 252 a good all around welder or is it mostly geared toward thicker material. Or should I get a Dvi or 212 and then later on buy a tig for thicker materials.

thanks

A MM 212 will weld anything on your Jeep. But as my wife says bigger is better so if you can swing a MM 252 go for it....Bob

Comment

alright but wants the thinest it can weld?

Comment

Well as the title states:

Millermatic® 252
        Welds material from 22 gauge to 1/2 in thick in a single pass. Highest output in its class.

I used to own a 251 and it was a great machine, more machine than most need at home, I think a 212 would be the way to go, although I think I would check out a Hobart Handler 210 first. Packs a big punch for a small machine, shorter duty cycle but I doubt you'd even notice.
        Last edited by c wagner; 01-20-2008, 07:30 PM. Reason: additional info

Comment

alright thanks

Comment

Mig Welder

Another option would be the Passport Plus. We have both the Passport & 252 at work and side by side the passport welds just as good and gives the convenience of being 110v or 220v by just changing the plug end which is a quick change fitting. It's also portable and cheaper. JMO

Comment

ok what about the dvi-2 is it any good? or am i better off with the passport or the 212?

does anyone have any recommendations on any good websites to buy from

thanks
              Last edited by conway; 01-21-2008, 06:04 AM.

Comment

I don't have any experience with the dvi-2, but you can't go wrong with either the Passport or the 252. As far as websites go, I like www.cyberweld.com

Comment

Conway,

While I don't have a MM252, I do have a MM251 and have been very happy with the machine.

If the price of a MM252 is in your "budget", by all means, go with the larger machine. Old saying, "the large machine can be dialed down but the smaller machine can't be dialed up (beyond it's capability).

The MM252 has "infinitely adjustable" voltage as well as wire speed, which adds to the utility, especially when dialing the unit down.

The MM252 also is plug ready for the 30A spoolgun, which is a more robust unit than the smaller guns.

The only disadvantage I see in using the MM252 for light (sheet metal) work is the size of the gun. The M25 is rather large for light work. The Bernard Q300 gun (which was available for exchange) is also a little large. The solution here, if it's a concern, is to pick up an extra M10/M15 gun off the internet for around $100 or so. That way you could set the smaller gun up for .023 wire and use the standard gun for .035.

I can't remember one poster coming on the boards stating that, "I bought too big a mig". On the other hand, most people starting out, buy a small mig and then either upgrade (costly) or just eventually buy a larger unit to supplement what they already have.

Just my .02

Comment

I started using the 251 in college, and now my students are using the 252, and we love it. it will weld both thin and thick very well, and i cannot see working without it most of the time. Hope it helps.

Comment

cool thanks for the advice... thats the way i look at whats the point in buying a MM140 and then 2 years down the road when its way undersized then i will end up buying the 252 anyways so why not just save up and buy one machine. but i was just concerned that maybe you coudnt turn down the 252 enough to weld thin things like sheet metal.

Sundown do you have a link to the gun your talking about, im still learning so i dont completly understand you, i thought you only used spoolguns for aluminum

thanks

Comment

I would reccomend the millermatic passport plus. it is a realy versitial mechine. it has a internal shielding gas bottle, wich is really good for for taking it to a jobsite and other places where you cant lug around a large cyclender. is also has mvp plugs, wich allows you to connect it to 120 and 230. its ment to be portable it weighs only 50 lbs, that and the mvp plugs along with the internal shielding gas bottle makes it a super portable machine. it will also weld aluminum with the addition of a spoolmate 100 gun. but one of the disadvnatges is that is welds a little less thicker than the millermatic 252 but it costs less. it is a great machine and it would be perfect for what you need to do and more!

http://www.millerwelds.com/products/...passport_plus/

Comment

Passport / 252

We were one of the first shops to latch on to the new 252 when they came out and we have put about 60 rolls of wire through it completely trouble free. Some body has posted info about the passport that can weld just as good. I guess at the same voltage it can, but the passport can't hold a candle to the 252's power and over all specs. Cost more but also does more!

TacMig

Comment

If machine usage is in a shop/garage enviroment, and the budget can afford it, out of what has been discussed, the 252 would be a very good choice. The 252 offers you substantually more power and duty cycle then the Passport.

I haven 't ran a 252, but I use to own a 251 and it performed quite well with an .023 solid wire and C-25 on 22 ga sheet metal.

If the sticker price of the 252 is a little to steep, the 212 would most definitely not be considered a compromise. The 212 offers plenty of top end power and duty cycle for anything you should need to weld on a Jeep. Once again though, I haven't ran a MM 212, but I do own a MM 210 and it performs very well with an .023 solid wire on 22 ga.

If I was going to purchase a lighter duty 180+ amp unit for home use, I would save myself $600+ and go with either a HH 187 or HH 210, over a Passport. The $600+ saved, could be used to purchase quite a few clamps. Plus, both Hobart units are real nice performers. They're most definitely very good thin ga sheet metal units.
                            Last edited by Danny; 01-22-2008, 10:25 AM.

Comment

Conway,

Anyone who thinks the Passport Plus will weld thicker material than the MM252 just hasn't used a MM252/MM251. That was just an absurd statement from someone "not in the know".

The 30A Spoolgun I mentioned in the previous post is made by Miller. You can check their "Products" section or pick up a Miller catalog to get a full description. The 30A signifies that the gun has a 30' lead and is air cooled. There is also a 15A spoolgun, which is the same gun with a 15' lead. The most significant difference in the 30A/MM252 combo, is that the wire feed speed can be adjusted directly from the gun rather than having to go to the main welder. The amp rating is also significantly higher (200A) than the 3035 (150A @ 60% DC).

While the spoolgun is mainly used for aluminum (reduces feed problems), it can also be used for solid or fluxcore wire. The extra reach (30' vs 15') can sometimes be a big advantage. (Think welding in the bed of a dumptruck or on the deck of a boat)

Hope this helps.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.