Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Compressed Air Tank Carrier

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compressed Air Tank Carrier

We ride dirt bikes and if you are like us some times when you get to the track the tyres on your bike will be low.
    I hate dragging out the 12 volt compressor, starting the car and listening to the pump drone on, there has to be a better way.

Last week I was in my welding suppliers store and notice a small 24 litre tank compressor that was cactus.
    I asked the owner if I could have the tank and he agreed.
    I purchased the plumbing and went home to test out my idea.
    I filled the tank with my workshop compressor to 90psi. I then removed the valve from my dirt bike's rear tyre. With a flat or empty tyre I filled it back up to 15psi.
    I reapeated this until the tank was empty.
    The tank can fill 10 rear tyres from flat.

Okay that worked all I have to do now is mount the tank to our pick up.
    I came up with a design and purchased the aluminium for the air tank carrier.

I like welding ali as it does not require painting after the welding is done.

Ji
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Jigantor; 04-21-2011, 12:24 AM.

After welding the carrier I bolted it to the underside of the tray and secured the tank with 2 stainless steel hose clamps.

Ji
    Attached Files

Comment

Man! Your fabrication of Aluminum never ceases to amaze me!
      First! The cost of the materials you have invested and...
      Second, how you do make practical and attractive fixtures and tools!

Nice job and as usual, you made me jealous with the materials and finished product!

Comment

Hi Kamikaze,
        Thanks for the kind words.
        The ali pre cut to exact lengths only cost $7.00.
        I CAD drew the project which includes schedules and then send it to Action Aluminium. The boys at Action call me within a few hours and I go and pick it up and pay.

The biggest issue I have is clamping all the little pieces together for welding.
        Personally I think the clamping is an art.

Thanks Ji
        Attached Files

Comment

I would probably put a piece of sheet rubber between the tank and the mount. Old tire inner tubes work well for this. It may vibrate enough to wear the tank (although the aluminum may go first, better safe than sorry though).

Does this tank have a drain plug? If not you'll have to remove the tank to drain any accumulated water. If you fill the tank from good filtered air you shouldn't get much water. Filling from any old compressor may have you removing the tank more often than you want.

Comment

Hi Andy,
            I think the ali will wear away before the steel but that is a good idea anyway.
            The clamps don't allow the tank to move at all so there should be no wear.
            The tank has a drain valve at the bottom.
            At this stage I fill it from my filtered compressor so water has no been an issue but I intend filling the tank at any petrol station along the way so it may receive some water that way.

Thanks
            Ji

Comment

i love to weld aluminum too. But I HATE buying the stuff. haha my wallet always feels a little to light when I leave the suply house with aluminum.

Seven bucks? what dollar are we talking here?

Comment

Jignator,

Instead of having to fill up that tank at the station and have a limited amount of air, what I did during my auto circle track racing days, was install an auto ac compressor under the hood, where it would normally go on the engine. On the inlet side I put a small screw in air filter and on the outlet side I ran a hose to the check valve on the tank. I mounted a toggle switch under the dash and ran a fused wire from the 12 volt power supply to the switch and then to the ac compressor clutch. Anytime I needed air I'd just flip the switch and had air. It's not as fast as a regular compressor, but at least you'll have an unlimited amount of air. I helped out quite a few guys that had one too many flats on their race cars and another nice thing is you don't have to listen to the noise those 12 volt compressors make, just the idle of your truck engine.

Hope this helps.
                Last edited by diverbill45; 04-25-2011, 01:17 AM.

Comment

Hi 2tay530,
                  Australian dollars.
                  There was only 5 feet of ali section in the carrier.

Ji

Comment

Hi diverbill45,
                    The air tank is perfect for what I need.
                    Only today at the bike track a fellow walked up to us at lunch and asked if we had any tyre levers.
                    I said I did, but bring the wheel over and I would change it for him.
                    Within 10 minutes the new tube was in and the tyre pumped up to 15psi.
                    The guy and his four mates were so impressed they offered us free beer.
                    We don't drink so we declined their warm offer.

We also removed a pair of grips from the handle bars of a friend's bike using the tank air.
                    So far it has worked better than I expected.

Ji

Comment

Originally posted by diverbill45 View Post
                      Jignator,

Instead of having to fill up that tank at the station and have a limited amount of air, what I did during my auto circle track racing days, was install an auto ac compressor under the hood, where it would normally go on the engine. On the inlet side I put a small screw in air filter and on the outlet side I ran a hose to the check valve on the tank. I mounted a toggle switch under the dash and ran a fused wire from the 12 volt power supply to the switch and then to the ac compressor clutch. Anytime I needed air I'd just flip the switch and had air. It's not as fast as a regular compressor, but at least you'll have an unlimited amount of air. I helped out quite a few guys that had one too many flats on their race cars and another nice thing is you don't have to listen to the noise those 12 volt compressors make, just the idle of your truck engine.

Hope this helps.

Do you have any trouble keeping the A/C compressor lubed up properly? Those are designed to operate in a closed-loop system with oil in the loop. I assume the oil circulates around the loop and the compressor always has enough in it. How do you lube the compressor when it's pulling fresh air into it? I'm sure it'll loose oil by spitting a little out the output. Do you just squirt a little oil in the intake every so often?

Comment

There are oil less compressors that hook up to your v belt. I had a "york" compressor from my Ford Bronco for the air conditioning unit re-plumbed made a great compressor for filling up tires or even running some air tools off of for short times. Look up "york AC compressor" and you will find some write-ups mostly for off-road vehicles.

Comment

Originally posted by hailea View Post
                          There are oil less compressors that hook up to your v belt. I had a "york" compressor from my Ford Bronco for the air conditioning unit re-plumbed made a great compressor for filling up tires or even running some air tools off of for short times. Look up "york AC compressor" and you will find some write-ups mostly for off-road vehicles.
                          I used one years ago. I now use a compressor from an old freezer and its been fine for the last 26 years...Bob

Comment

Andy, ....... look at what Hailea said. Mine was a "York" compressor that I took off of a Ford and installed it on my Ford. It worked great.

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.