Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Opinions needed. Service/Utility box trailer: what frame material?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions needed. Service/Utility box trailer: what frame material?

Hello all.

Picked up a Royal Utility box for a song and am going to convert it to a trailer for a mobile welding rig. Need help on the frame to support it. What thickness and type of material would you build the main frame out of? C-channel? Box tubing? What wall thickness.

Normally I would over build something, but I trying to keep costs down. My theory is that the utility box is going to provide a substantial amount of rigidity to any frame that I build so I would like to save on steel costs.

Utility box weighs in at 1000 lbs. and is 8 feet in length. Thanks!

I am posting this on other forums, so I apologise if you run into this elsewhere!

jbyrd,

Whats the gross weight of the trailer going to be?

If it were me I'd use 6x2x.1875. Miter the corners and run the light/brake wires inside the tube.

Consider a rubber torsion axel (if you can find one heavy enough) for a smoother ride for your equipment.

If you can't find a torsion axel big enough, consider a dualie axel off a one ton or better pickup.

LT Tires for the load rating.

You will need brakes to keep it legal/safe.

Overbuild it. You will end up carrying a lot more than you plan for now.

Put a cap on it that you can stand up in. Protects your stuff from weather and thieves. Being able to stand makes it easier to load/unload.

Exaust the welder through the floor so it dosen't smell up the trailer and no hole in the roof to leak.

As far as cost saving, It's cheaper/better to build what you need now than to rebuild later.
    Last edited by tenfingers; 04-11-2011, 04:19 AM.

Comment

You will most likely be overweight unless you put a 5000/5200# axle under it. With a utility body you will most likely fill up the boxes with lots of stuff.

I would use tube 2x4x1/4" minimum. 2x6x3/16" as stated will work also
      MM250
      Trailblazer 250g
      22a feeder
      Lincoln ac/dc 225
      Victor O/A
      MM200 black face
      Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
      Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
      Arco roto-phase model M
      Vectrax 7x12 band saw
      Miller spectrum 875