Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Got my welding table done! - pics

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got my welding table done! - pics

I have been planning this table for about 6 months. Naturally when I finally get the money together to buy the plate, the price of steel goes through the roof. It's only money right? I can make more.

It's a 5' x 10', 34 inches high.

I cut 6 slots on one end to use for clamping, and based it on the clamp used on the Miller ArcStation. For each slot I cut one 1-1/4" hole and one 3/4" hole, all with a bi-metal holesaws. I then used oxy-propane and a track cutter to cut the slot between the two holes, the slot is 3/4 wide.

I used 2-5/16" hitch balls for the adjustable feet. My shop floor is less than level.

I welcome all comments, and respectful critiques. Thanks!

Comment

It looks great! I would have never thought of using the hitch balls for leveling feet but it is a great idea. Where did you find the clamp that fits in the slots?

Now that you have it finished and start using it you'll find yourself constantly improving it such as adding provisions for storing your welding clamps, a place to put your MIG gun and so forth.

I also like that big heavy yellow thing you have in the corner, I have one as well but mine is blue!

Comment

whats the thickness? did it distort much when you cut the slots?

Comment

Originally posted by Blondie_486 View Post
          It looks great! I would have never thought of using the hitch balls for leveling feet but it is a great idea. Where did you find the clamp that fits in the slots?

Now that you have it finished and start using it you'll find yourself constantly improving it such as adding provisions for storing your welding clamps, a place to put your MIG gun and so forth.

I also like that big heavy yellow thing you have in the corner, I have one as well but mine is blue!
          I wish I could take credit for the hitch balls but I saw the idea either on this forum or one of the other fab forums a long time ago.

I got the clamp from miller. They are about 40 a piece and are used on there ArcStation welding table. Now that I have one I will make my own version with different features.

I have a list of mods I will be doing over time, recieiver tubes for removable vises, mig gun holder, different clamps for the slots, storage, etc etc.

I love my old Airco. Other than the cost of adding a 100amp service just for the welder! That thing is a welding beast.
          Last edited by jbyrd; 03-26-2011, 01:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mikecwik View Post
            whats the thickness? did it distort much when you cut the slots?
            I used 1/2 inch plate. And I can detect no distortion from cutting the slots. I went slow and took my time, allowing for cooling between cutting.

Comment

That's a great looking table. Those slots will come in handy in all sorts of ways.

My only concern would be the hitch as a self leveling foot. And the only reason for the concern is the way it concentrates the weight in such a small footprint. I'd worry that hard hammer blows might damage whatever floor surface I'm working on. But you might not do as much 'persuading' as I tend to -- I have to make up for a lot of my own mistakes.

Smart to round the corners, too.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Olsen View Post
                My only concern would be the hitch as a self leveling foot. And the only reason for the concern is the way it concentrates the weight in such a small footprint.
                Thanks Jack, this same concern came up over on WeldingWeb as well. Maybe I can get your input on these calculations. Each ball has a flat spot with an area of 1.23 square inches. My calculations are with a the table weight 1400lbs then each leg is supporting 350 lbs. With 1.23 sq inches of the ball on each leg contacting the cement then there is 284.5 lbs per square inch on the floor.

Thoughts?

Comment

Well, I'm no engineer. So take this with a grain of salt. But my worry would come with spike loads -- if you're hammering on the table, and the closest leg is transferring big spikes of force down to that surface area (which is what, a little bigger than a quarter?), which then transfers that force to a small section of the concrete.

I was assuming that the hitch had a sphere-like surface where it contacted the concrete. But if it's flattened, it's definitely less of an issue. And the bigger that flat area gets, the better it will work.

Then again, adjustable feet with impact-absorbing material are pretty cheap.

EDIT: Here's a set on ebay.

But again, my worry might be baseless.
                  Last edited by Jack Olsen; 03-26-2011, 03:21 PM.

Comment

Where did you get those miller clamps? Is that something you can order separate?

I'd like to slot mine as well.

Table looks good by the way.

Comment

Originally posted by Rig Hand View Post
                      Where did you get those miller clamps? Is that something you can order separate?

I'd like to slot mine as well.
                      Thanks! Yeah I ordered it seperately through my LWS. It was around 40 bucks.

Comment

Great job on the table but couldn't help but admire the rest of the cave. The old Lincoln in one pic, resto project? Bob.

Comment

Well thought through...

jbyrd,

Very nice work. Only one comment: Have you given any thought to using square tube to brace left to right and front to rear? It will cut out most underneath storage and may not be necessary in your situation. I guess only use and laziness are true mothers of invention. No matter what-that is a KICK A*SS welding table! Very very sweet. Great craftsmanship!!!
                          Last edited by HAWK; 03-26-2011, 06:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cornerstone View Post
                            Great job on the table but couldn't help but admire the rest of the cave. The old Lincoln in one pic, resto project? Bob.
                            Yeah its an Red Face SA-200 I picked up a month ago for 200.00. The prior owner stored it outside for 5 years with a coffee can over the exhaust... only problem is that the top of coffee can rusted out and water got into the cylinders. I am slowly trying to free her up now to rebuild the motor. It is all complete, all sheetmetal is in primo condition. Pretty happy with my find.

I have so many irons in the fire I may have to start another fire to hold more irons.

Comment

Originally posted by HAWK View Post
                              jbyrd,

Very nice work. Only one comment: Have you given any thought to using square tube to brace left to right and front to rear? It will cut out most underneath storage and may not be necessary in your situation. I guess only use and laziness are true mothers of invention. No matter what-that is a KICK A*SS welding table! Very very sweet. Great craftsmanship!!!
                              I definetly considered a lot of different bracing ideas, but in the end I built it with as much free space underneath as possible and figured if it wasnt sturdy enough after I built it then I could add bracing as needed... It is dang sturdy so I doubt it will need it. I love all the free space underneath there. I can even fit a futon underneath there for when I get into trouble. Nicest dog house in the neighborhood.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.