Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rainy day project.

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rainy day project.

Working on a small sculpture.
    Here are 3 views of the sculpture.

Green in-Green out.

I can't say I know much about art, but it looks pretty cool. Are those part of old bike frames?

Comment

Looks like Donald had several "rainy days".

Followed by a few nightmares I might add.

(PS, in case anyone wonders, I'm NOT a student of the arts)

Comment

Originally posted by Chibrew View Post
        I can't say I know much about art, but it looks pretty cool. Are those part of old bike frames?
        Those pieces of metal were left over from many welding projects.

About this art thing.
        You do not need to have a formal education to appreciate art.
        When abstract art was first viewed by the public like David Smith and Jackson Pollak it was a break through because you did not have to know the culture and the stories of another country or civilzation to enjoy the art.

The art was about itself, other words what you were looking at was it. It has no hidden meaning.

It is just the shapes, colors ,textures, and form that can make it appealing.
        It is about the transitions between the parts and how the edges are delt with etc.,.
        Abstract art is not an attempt to make and animal, a house or anything.
        It is what it was intended to be nothing else.

It may remind you of a bridge or something, and that is one foot into reality, but you can get over that too.

Comment

Originally posted by SundownIII View Post
          Looks like Donald had several "rainy days".

Followed by a few nightmares I might add.

(PS, in case anyone wonders, I'm NOT a student of the arts)
          i'm telling ya Sundown it's in the weld smoke. i just gota figr out what makes that kinda smoke and get me some.

Comment

Art, like beauty, is "In the eye of the beholder".
            I guess I'm not beholding.........

Comment

About this art thing.
              When abstract art was first viewed by the public like David Smith and Jackson Pollak it was a break through because you did not have to know the culture and the stories of another country or civilzation to enjoy the art.

there is a saying, a cliche, in the art community regarding uneducated observers of abstract art; it goes, paraphrased 'i don't know about art, but i know what i like'.

jackson pollock (correct sp) and smith two different artists working in two different mediums. smith was first a minimalist and later on some of his sculptures were viewed is representative of the abstract expressionist movement. to give these two credit for the creation of an artistic style does an injustice to the many movements and artists that came before them. fauves, cubists etc. (picasso comes to mind)

i am not trying to belittle your garden sculpture, you are free to call it what you will, craft maybe, but it is most definitely not art in the pure sense. do you feel it has the same impact as say picasso's visual powerhouse 'guernica'?

i have been to two exhibitions of smith's and several that displayed the works of abstract expressionists. you do them a disservice in saying that what they have produced is to be studied on only one superficial level.

could go on but this is hardly the venue. what is good is to create and enjoy yourself while you're at it, something you appear to be doing.

Comment

fdc,

Man I'm glad you shed some light on what art is.

I thought the OP was just having a "bad dream".

Comment

Originally posted by nocheepgas View Post
                  Art, like beauty, is "In the eye of the beholder".
                  I guess I'm not beholding.........
                  The only trouble with that saying is, that some people have not beheld very much.

Like if you asked a person that lived on one street in the same town his entire life what was the most beautiful house he had ever seen. He might say the 3 house from mine.

Only problem is he has not seen many houses since he had never been anywhere.

See what I mean.

Comment

Originally posted by fdcmiami View Post
                    About this art thing.

there is a saying, a cliche, in the art community regarding uneducated observers of abstract art; it goes, paraphrased 'i don't know about art, but i know what i like'.

jackson pollock (correct sp) and smith two different artists working in two different mediums. smith was first a minimalist and later on some of his sculptures were viewed is representative of the abstract expressionist movement. to give these two credit for the creation of an artistic style does an injustice to the many movements and artists that came before them. fauves, cubists etc. (picasso comes to mind)

i am not trying to belittle your garden sculpture, you are free to call it what you will, craft maybe, but it is most definitely not art in the pure sense. do you feel it has the same impact as say picasso's visual powerhouse 'guernica'?

i have been to two exhibitions of smith's and several that displayed the works of abstract expressionists. you do them a disservice in saying that what they have produced is to be studied on only one superficial level.

could go on but this is hardly the venue. what is good is to create and enjoy yourself while you're at it, something you appear to be doing.
                    Thanks for that correct spelling for Jackson pollack.

Guess you would not care for the work of Robert Hudson then.
                    Last edited by Donald Branscom; 03-21-2011, 03:40 PM.

Comment

What an uplifting thread! Since my early years of childhood, I've always thought I had no artistic talent at all. I've been a fairly adept DIYer most of my life, but artist? No... until tonight. I went to the shop, and looked at the scrap piled in the corner. Tomorrow, I'll just tack it all together, and call it abstract.

Comment

Originally posted by Goodhand View Post
                        What an uplifting thread! Since my early years of childhood, I've always thought I had no artistic talent at all. I've been a fairly adept DIYer most of my life, but artist? No... until tonight. I went to the shop, and looked at the scrap piled in the corner. Tomorrow, I'll just tack it all together, and call it abstract.
                        Yes that is one plan. Every person born has artistic talent.
                        But somewhere along the line you think you are not good at art. OR worse someone who thinks they are an expert says you are no good at art or music or mechanics etc.,.

If a child had been coloring in coloring books only, and one day you give them paper and crayons and say that they can make anything they want and there are no lines to color within, it is a little scary.

The next step is you can have the child take a plain paper and crayons and ask them to look at a tree or house and try to draw what they see.

After they have mastered that then ask them to just draw anything they want. That is very hard to do. The possibilities are infinite. How many houses should they put in one picture?

So by going out to your garage and welding together all of your scraps,
                        It is easier because you have set limits. IE, All the scraps. Only the ones you have.

Now one of the responsibilities of the artist is to make sure all of those scraps
                        have been de burred and you will need to make some decisions because the artist is responsible for all of the edges and transitions.

For instance will you weld all of the scraps together and then paint it?
                        Will you paint it all one color or multiple colors?
                        Will you paint it after you weld it together?
                        How will you reach some of the parts?
                        Will you weld it as you see it sitting there, or form all the scraps into a circle or, a ball or a square or a cube?

See what I mean...its not that easy. Many decisions to make.
                        Last edited by Donald Branscom; 03-23-2011, 03:09 PM.

Comment

This is a john chamberlain sculpture.

About life size.

Nancy Rubins Airplane parts.
                          Last edited by Donald Branscom; 03-23-2011, 03:42 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.