Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

I need to make a 20' I beam 40'

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MX,

You've got to be either the dumbest or most hard headed poster on this board in some time.

No one called you out or called you stupid until you proved, beyond a doubt, that that was the case. What other posters tried to do was steer you in the right direction so that you didn't hurt yourself or others around you.

I don't know what it's going to take to get thru to you that we're not talking about a "yard ornament" you're talking about hanging. We're talking about a heavy steel beam that could hurt/kill people if it fails.

No one, I don't care what their training or experience is, can design a beam/splice for you given the information you provided. He11, you don't even know what beam you're dealing with. Furthermore, no one knows the condition of the beam in question. For all anyone knows, it could be an old rusty beam that's been laying out in the back 40 for years, rusting away.

Furthermore, you've already demonstrated your willingness to grab "bad advice" and run with it. Don't expect anyone who knows what they're doing to be a coconspirator in your idiocy (something notably stupid or foolish).

And yes, I do have a background in structural steel. I had hung thousands of tons (bridge building as a Company Commander in an engineer construction company) of steel before I was 25yrs old. One project alone (TRANSPO 72 at Dulles Airport) required 278 tractor trailer loads of steel members.

Bottom Line:

Can the beam be installed and used? Probably, but will require designing the structure to support it. Most likely, will require the design of intermediate trusses to support the vertical loading of the beam.

Splices need to be "designed" for the particular beam in question. In order to do that, the exact beam in question needs to be determined.

To proceed without "professional assistance" is reckless and dumb.
    To act on "advice" given by posters who know less than you do is flat out stupid.

If unable to afford or unwilling to seek professional help, I'd recommend you use the beam you have and build a rolling gantry to meet your needs. Heck you can buy one from Harbor Freight that will carry a 1 Ton load for <$700.

The problem you have is the 40' "clear span" that you keep insisting on.

If you (and your equally uninformed buddy's) persist in "casting stones" at knowledgeable posters who've tried to steer you in the right direction, then I'll make you look even more stupid than you've demonstrated to this point.

Have a great day. Guess there's a reason they say, "Ignorance is Bliss".

Comment

Originally posted by SundownIII View Post
      MX,

You've got to be either the dumbest or most hard headed poster on this board in some time.

No one called you out or called you stupid until you proved, beyond a doubt, that that was the case. What other posters tried to do was steer you in the right direction so that you didn't hurt yourself or others around you.

I don't know what it's going to take to get thru to you that we're not talking about a "yard ornament" you're talking about hanging. We're talking about a heavy steel beam that could hurt/kill people if it fails.

No one, I don't care what their training or experience is, can design a beam/splice for you given the information you provided. He11, you don't even know what beam you're dealing with. Furthermore, no one knows the condition of the beam in question. For all anyone knows, it could be an old rusty beam that's been laying out in the back 40 for years, rusting away.

Furthermore, you've already demonstrated your willingness to grab "bad advice" and run with it. Don't expect anyone who knows what they're doing to be a coconspirator in your idiocy (something notably stupid or foolish).

And yes, I do have a background in structural steel. I had hung thousands of tons (bridge building as a Company Commander in an engineer construction company) of steel before I was 25yrs old. One project alone (TRANSPO 72 at Dulles Airport) required 278 tractor trailer loads of steel members.

Bottom Line:

Can the beam be installed and used? Probably, but will require designing the structure to support it. Most likely, will require the design of intermediate trusses to support the vertical loading of the beam.

Splices need to be "designed" for the particular beam in question. In order to do that, the exact beam in question needs to be determined.

To proceed without "professional assistance" is reckless and dumb.
      To act on "advice" given by posters who know less than you do is flat out stupid.

If unable to afford or unwilling to seek professional help, I'd recommend you use the beam you have and build a rolling gantry to meet your needs. Heck you can buy one from Harbor Freight that will carry a 1 Ton load for <$700.

The problem you have is the 40' "clear span" that you keep insisting on.

If you (and your equally uninformed buddy's) persist in "casting stones" at knowledgeable posters who've tried to steer you in the right direction, then I'll make you look even more stupid than you've demonstrated to this point.

Have a great day. Guess there's a reason they say, "Ignorance is Bliss".
      So you have taken it upon yourself to become my personal keeper and follow me all around the internet and harass me on other forums too. I didn't ask you anything, I didn't ask you for your help, I did ask the board one simple question at the start of all this and you have blown it all out of proportion. You might be the smartest person on the whole planet for all I know and if you are that's wonderful but I wish you would keep your smart azz remarks over in deltaville I don't need your help here in richmond so please butt out. If you persist in stalking me on other forums and continue to harass me here I will seek other means of remedy, two can play your silly game I just wish I had the time to play your childish games.

Comment

Working...
      X
      Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.