Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has this happened to you?! ouch

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has this happened to you?! ouch

Layed my gun over a piece of tubing today after welding two 20' sections of angle together w/ flux core wire,,,,,Forgot to move my flippin leg though,,,,,wire went straight through my pants burned a nice round whole in my skin and cauterized itself instantly,,,,,,,,Can someone guess what my next word was?????
    I honestly believe Id rather smash fingers than do that again.

I bet you said in a real calm voice, oh darn

Never did that but I was sitting at my table, chipping slag and a piece fell in my lap, didn't know it until something felt awfully hot.

Comment

OUCH. Been there done that. I was tig welding some SS tubing high up in the air and lunch came. I threw the torch over the rail and it swung down and the hot tungsten stuck right in my leg. Yahoo did it burn, right now too...Bob

Comment

Only thing that might be worse is slag in the eye

Comment

I was doing some piddling the other day at home with my Maxstar had just finished a short bead with some 3/32 7018 had the work clamp in one hand and layed the electrode end up on my vise the hot end of the rod swung down and got my wrist and the work clamp at the same time ... I feel your pain.....I have never gotten the hot wire treatment, but have run cold wire into my finger tips many times....

Comment

Ok,,,,I hate a messy shop,,,,,This just happened today as well,,,was a bad day,,,,,,,,, Ever tripped over a big ball of wire where someone did a spool change. Cant win for losin,,,,,,,,,,is it 5:30 yet

Comment

was welding 1/8" 7018 in overhead position with leathers on, flipped up hood and proceeded to chip of flux, . dang hot flux landed on my neck at top of leathers .... ouch.

Comment

Been burned like that a million times. Worst...no dumbest one was when I was welding sheetmetal studs on the side of a building and my leg started itching something fierce. I was certain something was boring in and laying eggs. So, after finishing my bead, I reached down with the stinger and scratched my leg with the still glowing rod end!!! Never did that again.

I also chipped some fresh 7018 slag at eye level without glasses. Slag hit me in the corner of the eye and burned itslef into the corner of my eyeball and ele lid. Piece of slag was the size of a dime. Took out my tear duct and everything. Most of it grew back and healed up fine. Never did that again either.

Just remember....that what doesn't kill you will make you stronger...or at least smart enough not to do it again.

Comment

LOL, I was cipping slag with my glasses on and it hit me in the corner of my eye. It stuck in too... The more I tried to dig it out, the further it went in. I went home on that note.... I chip with the hood on now.

Comment

, I was cipping slag with my glasses on and it hit me in the corner of my eye. It stuck in too... The more I tried to dig it out, the further it went in. I went home on that note.... I chip with the hood on now.
                    perhaps ya need to rethink your site name.................... .maybe not come to think of it how's the eye now ??

Comment

I've ran a hot mig wire right through a leather work glove into my finger. Ouch!

Comment

ooch!

Back in 1971 or '72 I was welding structural steel about 50 feet above the ground. The only fall protection we had then was detemined by how tight our leg (and sometimes sphincter) muscles could attach us to the wideflange.

I felt what seemed to be an unusually large piece of splatter go down my glove and back of my hand. Happens all the time, good bead going, ignore it. The backs of my hands looked like I had chicken pox anyway.

Then it worked its way down to my index finger and proceded to burn through the nail and into the quick. My hood went one way, my stinger went the other way, and then I remembered where I was. That's when my sphincter took over and kept me attached to the wideflange.

Had to replace the lens, obviously, but I still have the hood. Nowadays, at my age, 5 feet off the ground is too much.

Comment

Originally posted by mikeswelding View Post
                          Back in 1971 or '72 I was welding structural steel about 50 feet above the ground. The only fall protection we had then was detemined by how tight our leg (and sometimes sphincter) muscles could attach us to the wideflange.

I felt what seemed to be an unusually large piece of splatter go down my glove and back of my hand. Happens all the time, good bead going, ignore it. The backs of my hands looked like I had chicken pox anyway.

Then it worked its way down to my index finger and proceded to burn through the nail and into the quick. My hood went one way, my stinger went the other way, and then I remembered where I was. That's when my sphincter took over and kept me attached to the wideflange.

i feel your pain. i was hanging upside down from a rope, threes stories up welding channel to a chunk of i beam ,for a oversized neon sign.
                          the hot stuff went under my hood and landed on my chin .i almost dropped the three foot piece of channel .it looked like a cigarette was held on my chin
                          i couldnt weld it from the top because of the wall stubbed out a little

...when i was putting up steel buildings i used to use tension cables as ziplines...

Comment

well this happend to my friend

she was tiging something and laid the hot stinger right on her you know what in her lap and noticed it when her pants were smoking and she was burnt bad

Comment

I haven't had nor do I wish to have the hot slag in the eye treatment, but I have done all the others. I will never forget back in '72 when I was 12 I flipped the red hot tip of an o/a rod I was welding with down and it went right through my shirt and into my belly. Mom was nearby and heard my exclamation of sh@t, no not shoot, all she did was laugh and say your dad must have taught you that.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.