Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

shop press questions

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shop press questions

I've been thinking about building a press for my shop. I have an abundance of 3" pipe is there any reason not to use it for the up rights? I'm planning on using my 10 ton porta power for the ram, or maybe a 20 ton air over hydraulic jack. Press will mostly be used for bearings and maybe a future press brake for smaller brackets up to 3/8" thick x 4" to 5" wide any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,
    Riverfront

I would use it. Just make sure you add either a flat bar welded to the pipe or a small tube that slides over the pipe to keep the ram from moving side to side (2nd pic). here is the press i made a while back...BobName:  4c08bea7e58bb775989b57755b56569f.jpg
Views: 2
Size:  65.5 KBName:  7ca4118a93148dda6c1bb5017b1cfaee.jpg
Views: 7
Size:  68.1 KBName:  f8220803d9051d5101404081a967bf9b.jpg
Views: 5
Size:  64.7 KB

Comment

Working...
    X
    Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.