Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

inner shield

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jolly Roger & Paul....I realize what you are both saying and I do the same myself. I have to use the term Mig often too because that's what everyone else knows it as....from watching American Chopper and American Hot Rod, Biker Build Off etc etc. Mig is what it has always been called....Doesn't mean that the term is accurate. I thought that we, as the professionals could educate the beginners, but if you guys are fine with leaving your fellow Americans uninformed and ignorant....That's OK with me. I'll concentrate on helping the Canadian members.

Originally posted by migman69
    fcaw is mig without the sheilding gas since it is self shielded wire.
    THIS is exactly what I am trying to eliminate. We have a young feller here, that desite good intentions, is inaccurate, and if not properly educated, will continue to perpetuate his ignorance to others.

I am not singleing (sp?) this youngster out, I intend no disrespect or hurt feelings. I am aware that he is 17 or 18 and a newcomer. I am using his quote as an example of how misinformation is spread.

In direct rebuttle to his statement: Flux Core wire can be self shielded or "gasless", OR it can be dual-shield and require an externally applied shielding gas, just lke GMAW.

Most newcomers & hobbiests, young & old, come here to learn out of convenience, rather than pick up a book, read, and educate themselves.....If we do not provide them with correct, accurate information, how are they going to learn???

I'm not going to respond to this further on the open forum. Any further comments may be directed to me via PM.

My apologies to Migman69 if he feels he was treated unfairly. Such was not my intent.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Wolf View Post
      Jolly Roger & Paul....I realize what you are both saying and I do the same myself. I have to use the term Mig often too because that's what everyone else knows it as....from watching American Chopper and American Hot Rod, Biker Build Off etc etc. Mig is what it has always been called....Doesn't mean that the term is accurate. I thought that we, as the professionals could educate the beginners, but if you guys are fine with leaving your fellow Americans uninformed and ignorant....That's OK with me. I'll concentrate on helping the Canadian members.

THIS is exactly what I am trying to eliminate. We have a young feller here, that desite good intentions, is inaccurate, and if not properly educated, will continue to perpetuate his ignorance to others.

I am not singleing (sp?) this youngster out, I intend no disrespect or hurt feelings. I am aware that he is 17 or 18 and a newcomer. I am using his quote as an example of how misinformation is spread.

In direct rebuttle to his statement: Flux Core wire can be self shielded or "gasless", OR it can be dual-shield and require an externally applied shielding gas, just lke GMAW.

Most newcomers & hobbiests, young & old, come here to learn out of convenience, rather than pick up a book, read, and educate themselves.....If we do not provide them with correct, accurate information, how are they going to learn???

I'm not going to respond to this further on the open forum. Any further comments may be directed to me via PM.

My apologies to Migman69 if he feels he was treated unfairly. Such was not my intent.

Black Wolf Do not back down on this it is way to important.
      If one can't bother to learn the proper terms and explain his/her question in terms standard to the industry how can I answer them?????

As to someone getting his feelings hurt oh well that is life take it or leave it.

I am not advocating intentional rudeness or attacking fellow members. Stating fact and asking we all use one terminology to express our selves about welding is only logical. I would not want my doctor speaking to a colleague about my health care using nonstandard terms, why would we as professionals act any less professional.

And to the chap who was a welder and is now inspecting, I expect better out of my inspectors, I you had that attitude on my job site you would not last long.
      As a CWI it is incumbent on me to hold my self to the code so as to not mislead some one into making an error based on my poor use of language.

The AWS, ASME, ANSI, API, and on and on were developed just to combat this type of thing.

Behind you all the way Mr. Wolf!!!!

Comment

Fat Fab and Black Wolf

You are both entirely right. We should use the correct terms for processes. I constantly educate experienced welders in proper terminology not to mention proper procedures. The fact that most of the people seeking information from this web site are not professional welders just makes it more important to provide proper information, Nicely. I fear I may have overreacted to what I felt was rough treatment of a person asking for information. I did not intend for my comments to be taken personally. I apologize for any offence. I would never call our neighbors to the north “uninformed and ignorant”. Some of the best information I have found on this site has been posted by you (Black Wolf and Fat Fab )and other Canadian members.

Paul

Comment

im sorry for my ignorance fellas

Originally posted by Black Wolf View Post

Im sorry yes i am ignorant to the proper aws nomaclature, That is why I start welding school tommorow for a year to earn my aws certifications for Gmaw, Gtaw, and smaw, Upon complition of this school i will be a aws certified welder. Once again i apoligize for my ignorance And to correct you I am 24 years old still young but have been out of highschool for a while. yes the machines themselves will be refereed to mig, tig, and stick, I understand your refering to the processes themselves

Comment

Was going to do this VIA PM, but I'll do it this way.

Migman,

No apologies neccessary. I didn't intend for you to think that I was picking on you, I just used your quote to illustrate my point. Sorry I had your age wrong, we have SO MANY new members on these sites that are teenagers or newcomers it gets a little confusing.

I'm not sure if he is offended or not, but Fat Fab is a snow bunny of a different colour.....He's from Alaska.

Thanks for the PM's.
            Last edited by Black Wolf; 01-13-2008, 09:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pthunberg View Post
              Fat Fab and Black Wolf

(Black Wolf and Fat Fab )and other Canadian members.

Paul
              Alaska is a state in the United States of America not part of Canada

Comment

Working...
              X
              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.