Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

where to get drill pipe in indiana?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• where to get drill pipe in indiana?

have a local livestock guy who wants some pipe fence put up at his place. don't know any place around that it's available. built plenty of tubing fence but wants the drill pipe like he saw at a feedlot out in iowa. any help would be appreciated.

Tubing,

Check with your local pumpers 1st if they have a rack of tubing they need to get rid of that will be the cheapest or even free, be forewarned used tubing that they get rid of will have worn spots inside of it so some may not be to good, they will usually have sucker rod to get rid of to, got 2 racks of pipe recently but the sucker rod was a tangled mess to get. 2 and 3/8 tubing is pretty easy to handle but 2 and 7/8 is pretty heavy need 2 people for it, if none of the pumpers have any racks they need to get rid of try your local well service companies who run work over rigs.
    Richard

Comment

Schedule 40 Pipe or maybe schedule 80 but that is very heavy and much more costly. I use 40 and it is around 1/4 wall thickness, the steel supply should have that. People give things many names that are far from the manufacturers supply name and differentiating the difference is hard for sure. Try Westfield steel Co. we buy from them here in Evansville and they come out of Terre Haute I think.

Peace,
      Paul

Comment

thanks paul i"ll try the outfit in terre haute, not sure though if he'll stand for the price of new stuff. finding used drill pipe around here is the problem, not alot of oil rigs in indiana.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Seaman View Post
          Schedule 40 Pipe or maybe schedule 80 but that is very heavy and much more costly. I use 40 and it is around 1/4 wall thickness, the steel supply should have that. People give things many names that are far from the manufacturers supply name and differentiating the difference is hard for sure. Try Westfield steel Co. we buy from them here in Evansville and they come out of Terre Haute I think.

Peace,
          Paul
          Schedule forty two inch (2 3/8" O.D.) is .154 wall. In the southwest they sell a "nominal" schedule forty fence pipe that is .140 wall. 1/4 inch is .250.

Comment

Is he sure that he wants drill pipe for a fence?? Unless it's a pen to hold bulls or elephants, that will be total overkill. How much will you need? I'm sure that you can have some trucked in from the Odessa, Texas area if your customer has plenty of money.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim-TX View Post
              Is he sure that he wants drill pipe for a fence?? Unless it's a pen to hold bulls or elephants, that will be total overkill. How much will you need? I'm sure that you can have some trucked in from the Odessa, Texas area if your customer has plenty of money.
              he says he needs a pin for crazies, checked on sch 40 2" and about passed out. also would like some "heavy" gates built but havn't went to him with the price of materials, sure he will change his mind.

Comment

Pennsylvania may be an option for used well tubing...

Since all the work has been going on in the Marsellus shale area in Penn., it may be closer for trucking to get it from there to Indiana. I don't think he is going to want to price actual drill pipe either. A 15,000 foot string of 4" drill pipe costs in the neighborhood of a million bucks new, so it's not cheap. 2 3/8 tubing is averaging about thirty three to fifty dollars a joint down here in Louisiana, and is plenty sturdy enough for the so called crazies. A friend's grandfather has a pen and loading chute built out of it, and it handles very large charlais bulls easily. Hope this helps.

Comment

Working...
                X
                Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.