Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Super Abrasive Welding

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Super Abrasive Welding

I bought some 5/32 super abrasive electrodes to add some hardener to one of our cast iron plow shoes to try it out before we do the whole fleet. These rods have roughly 1/4 inch of flux on them, I may be exaggerating a little but it is very thick. I never used these rods before and on the box it says to set the amps at 140 - 160 which sounds right. My question is, with that much flux, how can you tell how much of a bead you are laying or is best to run a practice bead ?

I would just run a short practice bead to get a feel for the rod and the setting, better than testing on a good workpiece. This is what I do whenever I use a new type or size of rod.

Comment

hard surface rods run similar to 7018. Make sure you have a very clean surface to weld those high dollar rods to. I usually run a pass of 7018 before I start hardsurfacing. Seems to leave less pitting.

Comment

Thanks guys, I ran a practice bead today without preheating to give it a try. Ran a bead across a junk brake caliper at 170A so I think with a little preheating, it should be pretty simple.

Comment

Originally posted by robphillips View Post
          hard surface rods run similar to 7018. Make sure you have a very clean surface to weld those high dollar rods to. I usually run a pass of 7018 before I start hardsurfacing. Seems to leave less pitting.
          Good tip! I've never done it, but I can see how it would not only lay a good clean base for the HS rod, you also build up a little thicker layer of new metal.

Comment

Working...
          X
          Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.