New Shop Truck

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Shop Truck

Not a welding rig but I got a little welding in on the set-up. Being a sign shop truck, the first priority was to get it marked.

Then I looked for side mount toolboxes. I couldn't find any that had all the features I was looking for, co I bought a set that was close & chopped them up.
    I fabricated a couple deep wells for the front 2/3's of the boxes to handle larger things like tool boxes & drill cases.

Got them tigged in. I also bolted on cargo rails on the back sides of the boxes with angle iron supports on the iinside of the box. Now I have all kinds of tie down anchor points, something that was lacking on the old truck.

I robbed an idea from a fire truck I recently lettered. I installed LED rope lights with magnetic switches in the boxes, no more fumbling for stuff in the dark.

The light switch mount & wiring is all tucked in the end of the box. I built a false end to cover it all up. Now I have 2 16" deep wells on each side and a divider between the deep wells and the original 10" deep box to hold misc. stuff like screws, etc.

Last edited by pro70z28; 02-02-2011, 09:19 AM.

Comment

I added a bed expander since this truck is only a 6.6' box. I don't use 8" as much as I used to, but with the expander I can still haul 8' stuff.

All that's left (other than a few mic. things) is to install the inverter I bought to recharge power tool batteries.

Comment

I should say I used .080 aluminum sign substrate to make the tool box wells after pricing diamond plate.

Comment

Reminds me of the briefcase in Pulp Fiction..

.. and I'm gonna rob the idea my own self.

Nice job man!
          Mike

sigpic WHEELED VEHICLE SERVICE SINCE 1960

Comment

Thanks Mike.

Comment

Great modification to exisitng boxes. The work looks great! Love the lighting with the hidden switches. Well done!

Gord
              http://gordsgarage.wordpress.com

Comment

Working...
              X