Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wall Mount Receiver Hitch

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wall Mount Receiver Hitch

I made this for a buddy to hang in his garage. It is to store his receiver-mounted bicycle carrier in the summer, and put the bikes up on the wall in the winter.

5/16" plate for base, 1/8" for brackets, 6" weld-on receiver from farm supply store.
    Last edited by spotsineyes; 01-20-2011, 05:37 PM.

Looks good. I never thought of storing bikes like that.

Comment

For what its worth, receiver tube sells by the foot at most steel yards. Might make the project cheaper next time around.

Comment

It was less than $10.
        Edit: That didn't sound right, I had to look it up. Sure enough, $9.99

http://www.farmandfleet.com/products...ceiver%26p%3d1
        Last edited by spotsineyes; 01-21-2011, 09:59 AM.

Comment

Roy,

Actually, that receiver shown probably came from Harbor Freight. They sell the tubing in 12", 18", and 25" lengths. If I remember correctly, the 12" was only about $8.00 on sale (which they always are).

My steel supplier will not sell receiver tube by the foot, so a full stick gets pretty pricy for a small job.

Comment

Good job but inna future your East West holes don't need to be there since they ain't gonna hit a Stud

Comment

hmm

my steel supplier sells the receiver tube by the foot and i think it was close 11 something a foot last time i got some glad i didn't use much

Comment

Originally posted by Broccoli1 View Post
                Good job but inna future your East West holes don't need to be there since they ain't gonna hit a Stud
                I'm glad you brought that up. The guy I made it for dry walled the garage himself and insists that there are horizontal studs where the sheets meet. The sheets are installed horizontally. I made it like that and told him that if the height that he choses to mount it does not meet these horizontal studs, there should be plenty of support. With those ears on the side against the dry wall, the mount should not sway left to right with the carrier mounted.
                Do you guys think there will be much tendency for the carrier to want to swing left and right with the weight of the bikes on it? The carrier is the type with a pin and hinge in it. It is designed to swing down to allow the tailgate to open. He figures to mount the receiver at about six feet up. The horizontal seam of the drywall is about there because of the concrete knee walls. He is worried that when he mounts the bikes and swings them up into position, there will be a side load.

Comment

hmm

its gonna have side load since the carrier is much wider than the base if he lags the top and bottom in he will have to test and see if it need more support he can install a couple fire blocks for more support

Comment

Originally posted by spotsineyes View Post
                    I'm glad you brought that up. The guy I made it for dry walled the garage himself and insists that there are horizontal studs where the sheets meet. The sheets are installed horizontally. I made it like that and told him that if the height that he choses to mount it does not meet these horizontal studs, there should be plenty of support. With those ears on the side against the dry wall, the mount should not sway left to right with the carrier mounted.
                    Do you guys think there will be much tendency for the carrier to want to swing left and right with the weight of the bikes on it? The carrier is the type with a pin and hinge in it. It is designed to swing down to allow the tailgate to open. He figures to mount the receiver at about six feet up. The horizontal seam of the drywall is about there because of the concrete knee walls. He is worried that when he mounts the bikes and swings them up into position, there will be a side load.
                    Well if he can hit wood with a lag Screw N, S, E & W he can probably hang his car from it.

Looks like you have at least 3 holes up the center- using just those he'll be fine anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by WyoRoy View Post
                      For what its worth, receiver tube sells by the foot at most steel yards. Might make the project cheaper next time around.
                      Hey, good info. I didn't know that and have a couple future projects in mind. Thanks!

Comment

tube

out here in the I.E. it runs by the foot as well but still high at 7.00 per foot so I only bought six feet and use it wisely

Comment

Help

Would you be able to make more of these for sale?

Michael

Comment

Same deal in the metro Detroit area, Before I knew better a 3 foot drop section (receiver tube) was $32.00 at the steel supplier I use to use. I buy Horrible fright ones now as on sale a lot cheaper, along with the pick up bed extenders for light weight stuff on sale with coupon cheaper than all the assorted steel in them. Same with the cargo extenders.
                            haven't checked my new supplier.

Pretty neat idea. Would even work two high on a wall!

Here's what I use it for reciever tube tooling in the shop

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.