Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

ALU Catch Trays

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ALU Catch Trays

Some fuel drain boxes I built for a guy last week. They bolt down inside the cabinet of a diesel fuel delivery truck and hold the fuel nozzle once the hose is reeled in. Catches any diesel that might still be in the nozzle.
    Attached Files

Too pretty to slop up with stinky diesel

Comment

Looks really nice! I agree thats too nice to get all slopped up

Comment

I agree. Really nice..

Comment

Those are good looking welds, Care to share the weld settings you used ? Thanks Mike

Comment

Thanks for the compliments guys, makes an ol rod burner feel pretty good. The boxes were made out of 1/8" 5054 ALU with a 1/4" 5054 base. Welds done with a Lincoln (sorry Miller guys, but it's an AWESOME machine) Precision TIG 375.

-125 amps
            -No pulse
            -3/32" 2% ceriated tungsten sharpened to a "crayon" tip-- 1/8" long taper with about a 0.030" flat ground onto the tip
            -balance at 75 (ish)
            -3/32" 4043 filler
            -#8 cup
            -18 cfh argon
            -move forward about 1/2 cup diam. between dabs (very little filler used-- just a split second dab)

I build bigger hydraulic tanks for a local drilling company as well (12"x18"x30") and for the long welds I use the pulse settings:

-same basic settings as above
            - 0.8-1 second pulses
            -70-80% on time
            -40% background amperage
            -move and dab on the up side and then pause on the down side of the pulse

I find it's an easy way to make the long welds more uniform.
            Last edited by wronghand; 01-14-2011, 11:01 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X
            Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.