Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fan belt tool Did not want to spend the money!

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fan belt tool Did not want to spend the money!

I needed a serpentine belt replaced on the sons car and did not want to fight with it and did not want to spend the money on a belt tool.
    I know it could of been done with another tool out of the old box but was trying to make it easier on me with my crippling arthritis but I had seen these before and was tinkering in the shop so I made one for him and one for the box although it would of been cheaper and quicker to by one i figured its all good. made them out of scrap and old socket extensions and put some heat shrink on the handle for a little better grip.

Defiantly was not as hard on the shoulders as using two wrenches locked together.

Name:  edc1923ac6bdf3d94c2b2681f827a16a.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  69.3 KB
    Name:  512ec4d50ac71e94ac20beb3957f1e94.jpg
Size:  73.4 KB
    Name:  1da8c12a81a490c145efebe62a8eb549.jpg
Size:  62.5 KB
    Name:  e93c7254569adc282382b4527692c16c.jpg
Size:  66.7 KB

Nice job...Bob

Comment

Thanks' Bob

Thank you! Bob I do appreciate the complement.
      and really like seeing your work when you post, It's really nice work.

Comment

CrazyHorse,

We wouldn't be here and Miller wouldn't have this forum if everyone could buy something off the shelf.

I come here to get ideas and learn and am truly grateful that there is still a place for a bozo like me to come get and share ideas.

Maybe there is a market for a left handed monkey wrench....................

keep 'em coming !

Comment

Yep I know what you mean, I have seen all sorts of good ideas and shop made tools here thanks to everyone here in the miller forums.

I am picking up a nice little 9x36 south bend metal lathe in a few days
          so i can tinker around and maybe make a tool or two.

Comment

Nice work and a very good idea! One question...which did you keep? The red or the yellow?

Comment

Originally posted by CrazyHorse! View Post
              Yep I know what you mean, I have seen all sorts of good ideas and shop made tools here thanks to everyone here in the miller forums.

I am picking up a nice little 9x36 south bend metal lathe in a few days
              so i can tinker around and maybe make a tool or two.
              I have 5 South Bends great machines. Join my yahoo lathe group lots of pics there to look at>>> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/southbend10k/ ...Bob

Comment

Here is a little project i did. I needed a small keyway in a shaft i made so i used my SBL. Also the tool block was milled on my lathe. The collet chuck was also made on it, so there are lots you can do with a lathe...Bob
                Attached Files

Comment

Nicely done! I like the heat shrink you used on the handles, good idea.

Gord

Comment

Well thought out and nicely done! Ya need to sell something to Sears...

Comment

Originally posted by goinssr View Post
                      Nice work and a very good idea! One question...which did you keep? The red or the yellow?
                      I'm guess-n the yellow one that way my son cant say it's his like half my tools in his box

Comment

Originally posted by aametalmaster View Post
                        I have 5 South Bends great machines. Join my yahoo lathe group lots of pics there to look at>>> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/southbend10k/ ...Bob
                        I will Do that Bob cause I havenít a clue on how to use it I am a total beginner here but heres are some picís of the lathe I picked up actually got it today. Now all I have to do is figure out how in the heck Iím going to get it out of the truck.

Name:  5c88f157a9d60799af0a594746df9ce2.jpg
Size:  85.4 KB
                        Name:  0e13fd7d9d56b334878a520d4c5eb2ea.jpg
Size:  65.8 KB
                        Name:  95259906f20d89e75f8e35e143f09d91.jpg
Size:  71.3 KB

Comment

Originally posted by gordsgarage View Post
                          Nicely done! I like the heat shrink you used on the handles, good idea.

Gord
                          Thank you! Gord,
                          I actually use the shrink on my pliers and other hand tools for a nice grip or comfort also on screwdrivers that I will be using on electrical like the ones the metal tip only sticks out of and if it starts getting worn I just replace it i buy the bulk boxes from HF for like 4 bucks and can do allot of pliers handles with the stuff
                          and if you need it to be a little thicker double it or then just dip it they have the rubber dip stuff there at HF as well

CH!
                          Last edited by CrazyHorse!; 12-22-2010, 01:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by CrazyHorse! View Post
                            I will Do that Bob cause I havenít a clue on how to use it I am a total beginner here but heres are some picís of the lathe I picked up actually got it today. Now all I have to do is figure out how in the heck Iím going to get it out of the truck
                            Looks like you hit the mother load there. Nice find. You got all the right stuff and a few extras that you never find. I can tell you the year made by the sn which is at the far rh (tailstock) end of the bed. The rear drive will allow you to get rid of the flat leather belt and add an automotive type serpentine belt that won't slip or dry out like the leather...Bob

Comment

Yes, I made one of those too, just wanted it when I wanted it.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.