Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ice Boat!

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ice Boat!

Had the Ice Boat out on the lake today! I built this last year, but to late in the season to get it tuned. A few more adjustments and she should Fly! Need a little more weight over the front skate and sharpen the rear skates. It has an Aluminum frame and Stainless steel skates, sail and rigging is off an old sunfish I use to have.

Name:  912682665e7de8b854f3f2a20e3d391e.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  15.6 KB

Nice looking ice boat. How do you keep from getting hung up on the rough ice?

Don

Comment

Looks like nothin' but speed to me!

Comment

skates

Originally posted by Don52 View Post
        Nice looking ice boat. How do you keep from getting hung up on the rough ice?

Don
        The skates are on pivots with the weight toward the back, and the front edge of the skate is rounded, it just glides over rough ice and cracks. You do have to watch out for ice fishing holes though!

Comment

Originally posted by jessehornberger View Post
          The skates are on pivots with the weight toward the back, and the front edge of the skate is rounded, it just glides over rough ice and cracks. You do have to watch out for ice fishing holes though!
          I was JUST thinking how NICE that would be to pull my ICE FISHING gear onto a few lakes!! There are a 'number' of Glacier Fed lakes that do NOT allow Vehicles, Quads and Sno-mobiles on em' and this thing would SURE be nice to take to some of these places as these lakes tend to be VERY windy.

How much does it weigh? I would think that it could modified and substitute in place of my current sled that has to be pulled out 'manually' on that ice! Even if it didn't get going very fast, or the wind was in the wrong direction, at least it could be pulled MUCH easier than my 'flat-bottomed' fishing sled!

Cheers,

Comment

sled vs skate

Originally posted by Joeman View Post
            I was JUST thinking how NICE that would be to pull my ICE FISHING gear onto a few lakes!! There are a 'number' of Glacier Fed lakes that do NOT allow Vehicles, Quads and Sno-mobiles on em' and this thing would SURE be nice to take to some of these places as these lakes tend to be VERY windy.

How much does it weigh? I would think that it could modified and substitute in place of my current sled that has to be pulled out 'manually' on that ice! Even if it didn't get going very fast, or the wind was in the wrong direction, at least it could be pulled MUCH easier than my 'flat-bottomed' fishing sled!

Cheers,
            That is a great idea. It weighs about 150 lbs, and fits in the back of my pickup truck. Even with no wind it can be pushed very easy. The only down side I see is if there is deep snow on the lake. It only has about 6 in clearance under it.

Comment

Ever try a kite with that? Bet she would scoot behind my PL 19m Venom.

Love that wide open area.

Comment

I've not seen iceboat runners on pivots. Does it have any effect on control when hiking?

Comment

Skates

Originally posted by Goodhand View Post
                  I've not seen iceboat runners on pivots. Does it have any effect on control when hiking?
                  All the Ice Boats I have seen have pivoting skates for gliding over the ice. My first attempt to make skates I had them mounted solid and I just dug into the ice, on my second attempt I put a pivot on them, but on the front side of the skate, this pushed the nose of the skate into the ice and stopped the boat, On my 3rd and final attempt I put the pivot on the back of the skate, and it glides effortlessly. You can push it with 2 fingers and it will move 10- 15 ft.

As for hiking out, I donít really see how that is possible? You kind of have to sit in the seat behind the steering foot pedals. Plus I donít think I would feel conformable hiking out at 60 mph anyway
                  You can get it up on 2 skates (the front and one side of the back) and that is pretty exciting!

Comment

All the Ice Boats I have seen have pivoting skates for gliding over the ice. My first attempt to make skates I had them mounted solid and I just dug into the ice, on my second attempt I put a pivot on them, but on the front side of the skate, this pushed the nose of the skate into the ice and stopped the boat, On my 3rd and final attempt I put the pivot on the back of the skate, and it glides effortlessly. You can push it with 2 fingers and it will move 10- 15 ft.

As for hiking out, I donít really see how that is possible? You kind of have to sit in the seat behind the steering foot pedals. Plus I donít think I would feel conformable hiking out at 60 mph anyway
                    You can get it up on 2 skates (the front and one side of the back) and that is pretty exciting!
                    Okay, so the skates pivot up and down, not side to side?

Comment

Right on!

you got it!

Comment

Back in the day .. had a friend that converted his D-N ice boat to aluminum frame .. the frame weighed about 30 lbs bare .
                        With his help i build a ultra light engine powered unit .. as i did not know how to sail ..and did not want to rely on the wind .

then converted to a water machine .

not fast enough for me so i sold it .
                        Don

Comment

Ice Boat Video

took some video on the lake today!
                          Last edited by jessehornberger; 01-15-2011, 03:44 PM. Reason: broken link

Comment

took some video on the lake today!
                            Hey Jesse, the link is broken. Can't see the video

Comment

adobe flash player

Get the latest adobe flash player to view video.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.