Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bushings for Pipe Roller Jack Stand

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bushings for Pipe Roller Jack Stand

I'm in the process of making a couple of pipe jack stands. Instead of the standard "V" heads, these are going to have two 1/2" x 4" disc type rollers. I've turned them on the lathe already but want to press in bronze bushings instead of just driling a hole in the steel disc.

My question is this: What size should I drill/ream/bore the hole in the disc roller? The bronze bearings I've purchased are 3/4" OD and 1/2" ID. I've already drilled 1/2" holes in the frame for the pins and the bushings slide over them quite nice. However, I need to press in the bushings so they are tight in the disc rollers and don't spin. I've measured the bushings and they are pretty much spot on (0.7500 OD and 0.500 ID). I'm guessing I need to bore the holes slightly under and press in the bushing, but I'm not sure by how much. I guess I could bore a few test holes and figure it out, but thought you guys might help me get it right the first time.

Thanks

Most of the time when I'm going for a decent cold press fit, I bore the holes .003" undersize and put a slight lead on the bushings with a file.

Comment

Taking a closer look at the bushings, they are 0.005 over. I can purchase a reamer that is 0.7490. Perhaps that would be an option instead of setting up and dialing in my boring bar. Would that be too tight or should I go with the 0.7500 reamer?
      Attached Files
      Last edited by garybdavis; 11-30-2010, 07:10 AM.

Comment

If you goof up a bit Locktite them in.

Comment

Red or blue? You know, I can always count on Sberry for the old shop tricks!

I ordered a 0.7500 reamer because I'm too lazy to dig out my nice high dollar Kennamental boring bar and make multiple passes to dial it in. I had to order some more bushings and they are spec'ed at 0.0000 to -0.0005 or something like that. So, locktite may be required depending on how bad my lathe is vibrating that day.

Comment

It's looks like you have a hub. Why not drill a hole and use a roll pin. Very easy.

Comment

That's what I have up to this point. I started with a 1.25" thick piece of 4" flat bar, cut them into 4" squares, trimmed off the edges, drilled them with a 1/2" center hole and turned them on the lathe. I turned a 1/4" x 1" hub on each end and faced down the roller to 1/2" thick. But, I'd like to be able to replace the bronze bushings if they ever wear out in my lifetime. Realistically, the rollers will probably be trashed by then, but where's the fun in that?

Comment

I suspect you would never wear out the bolts you have now, would take rotating pipe 24 hrs a day at higher speed than a man can do it. Little portable ones I can lay on my benches.
                Attached Files

Comment

That's a cool idea. I need to find a set of steel caster wheels and save myself the hassle.

I know if I were to use bearings, I couldn't pass welding current through them (ground clamp placed on the jack stand), but I'm hoping the bushings will work for this. If not, no big deal.
                  Last edited by garybdavis; 11-30-2010, 04:18 PM.

Comment

I like the fact that you have them in your dining room!

Comment

Yeah, the things I drag in and put on her dinning table really thrills the wife.

Comment

Originally posted by nocheepgas View Post
                        I like the fact that you have them in your dining room!
                        You don't know Gary. That's his break area in the shop. LOL

Comment

Hey Harv, good to see you around. Just finished the welding portion of a corral with 18 gates. Oh, and one slider gate. Man, that was a lot of welding. Kind of reminds me of some of your bigger customer projects. Hope all is well.

Comment

Originally posted by garybdavis View Post
                            Hey Harv, good to see you around. Just finished the welding portion of a corral with 18 gates. Oh, and one slider gate. Man, that was a lot of welding. Kind of reminds me of some of your bigger customer projects. Hope all is well.
                            It's all good Gary.

I've been watching this because I'm building a machine to bale plastic trash into bricks for housing projects in the third world. I've ordered some one inch 4 tpi acme thread rod for the push mechanism. I'll need a bushing or three.

Comment

Sounds like a cool project and I'm sure you are up to it. Post some pics as it comes along.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.