Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

3 rail motorcycle trailer miller 211 with spool gun Aluminum pics

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don,
    Thanks, they're not too far from me.
    Dave

Comment

I push only which seems to minimize the soot and also re brush each joint just prior to welding this also has reduced my sooting to almost nothing.

Comment

I really like the trailer design. Nice work. Who built the axles for you? I have been using Dexter for all of my trailers but I like the individual units like you have incorporated. That type of axle would allow a lot more flexibility in design than a one piece axle.

Comment

Originally posted by goinssr View Post
          I really like the trailer design. Nice work. Who built the axles for you? I have been using Dexter for all of my trailers but I like the individual units like you have incorporated. That type of axle would allow a lot more flexibility in design than a one piece axle.
          The first trailer I did with the Axle stubs .. bought on e/bay .. nice cause you can make the trailer any width you like un like the standard full axle where the perches are set to a standard width .

Don

Comment

well I have been busy trying out 2 other designs .

HERE ARE SOME PICS
            full diamond plate deck .. expencive

all 3 units I have added a 2nd tube under the tong for extra strength .

Added diamond plate between the rails on the 1st unit

simpler set up with composite decking .

Don

Comment

made the bed 1 foot longer for better center of gravity .

extra tong tube for extra strength .

Don

Comment

The composite decking material is a good idea. I'm sure it's heavier than the alum and it doesn't look as rich but a good, cost effective alternative for certain. I build small cargo trailers that are pulled behind motorcycles and up to now have been using powder coated steel for the frame/tounge assembly. I have said for some time that I would like to change to an alum assembly, I guess I'm gonna have to get the spoolgun warmed up. I'm using a 30A off of a MM251. Are you using 1/4" or 1/8" thick stock on your trailers?

Comment

The composite decking material is a good idea. I'm sure it's heavier than the alum and it doesn't look as rich but a good, cost effective alternative for certain. I build small cargo trailers that are pulled behind motorcycles and up to now have been using powder coated steel for the frame/tounge assembly. I have said for some time that I would like to change to an alum assembly, I guess I'm gonna have to get the spoolgun warmed up. I'm using a 30A off of a MM251. Are you using 1/4" or 1/8" thick stock on your trailers?
                  there is a little of both sizes of material .. the tube frame is 1/8 wall other things are 1/4
                  got any pics of the trailers ??
                  Don

Comment

Here's a few pics of my little trailers....

Last edited by goinssr; 12-25-2010, 06:32 PM.

Comment

Don...PM sent.

Comment

Don...PM sent.
                        Got it .. sent p/m back

sweet little trailer .. are those well guard boxes your useing ??
                        Don

Comment

Originally posted by Alumitech View Post
                          Got it .. sent p/m back

sweet little trailer .. are those well guard boxes your useing ??
                          Don
                          The boxes are UWS. Very high quality box, insulated lids,....

Comment

Originally posted by Alumitech View Post
                            Harleys and croch rocket's have wider rear tires , so the next ones getting a diamond plate deck and locking wheel chocks .

My thought would be to just graft a wider c-channel section to the 5" instead of plating the whole trailer. Keep the overall cost down for customer. All you would have to have as the wider channel is the rear most 12"-24" depending on wheelbase of bike.

Regards....

Comment

I finally sold the 2 extra trailers i built .. tough sell to some that are used to cheep 700.00 trailers .. but 2 harley guys bought them .
                              I feel its time to build a few more in steel .. to keep the price down , to a 900.00 buck range .
                              Going to use 1.5 x 2.5 Steel tube 1/8 th wall .. 3 rail design like the first one with Aluminum rails .. aluminum diamond plate fenders .. white steel wheels .. 5/4 deck material .
                              pics are of the aluminum early version .

will post pics of the new steel unit as i go .

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.