Homemade Snowplow

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ranchersam View Post
    nice job! what's the spec on the moldboard "skin"? what guage steel etc, and how did you bend it to the contour of the ribs?
    The skin is made out of 14ga. I gave a sheet metal shop my wooden template and they bent it for me (Thanks Young Plumbing and Heating).

I was going to take a piece of 14ga and start tacking at the bottom and squeeze it into place with a length of large diameter pipe and some ratchet straps but my Dad said his former employer would be glad to do it for me so I went that route - probably for the better.

Comment

great project.
      did you rebuild the POS power plant or just drop in a new/rebuilt one ??

I was going to take a piece of 14ga and start tacking at the bottom and squeeze it into place with a length of large diameter pipe and some ratchet straps but my Dad said his former employer would be glad to do it for me so I went that route - probably for the better.
      don't know about better, but definitely easy-er .

i would switch out the feet ASAP, seems like we start out intending to only use things at the house and before ya know it they are all over the place. just watch how fast word travels about your new plow......................good thing or bad ????? no telling but you definitely gotta watch out for that Murphy's Law guy. he is just not the friendly type.
      thanks for the help
      ......or..........
      hope i helped
      sigpic
      feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
      summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
      JAMES

Comment

willy, I sent you a private message.
        Ken

What else is there besides welding and riding. Besides that

Miller Thunderbolt XL 300/200 AC/DC
        Hobart Handler 187
        Dewalt Chop Saw
        4" Air Grinder
        Die Grinder
        Rigid Drill Press
        Kellogg 10hp Air Compressor

2009 FXDC

Comment

i made a little blade for my garden tractor. it works pretty good. i put a hydraulic system on my tractor and now im in the process of making a little culitvator
          Jake

Comment

ok farm boy you gotta share pic's. i almost made one for my mower, but decided i would drive over the snow insted.
            thanks for the help
            ......or..........
            hope i helped
            sigpic
            feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
            summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
            JAMES

Comment

Nice job willy

Nice job on the plow willy.
              what does the whole assembly weigh, can the old chevy hold it up.
              I live in northern B.C. cananda, and do more than my share of snow removal.
              I use a skid steer with a 9'2" plow or a case loader. once the ground is frozen i take the shoes of alltogether, I push all around our helipad's(concrete,ashfalt,grass,gravel) don't ever have a problem.
              I would drive the 30 miles to push his driveway in, it would be worth it.
              Miller 225P ThunderBolt
              Victor Oxy/Acc
              Makita 5" grinder

Comment

Originally posted by fun4now View Post
                great project.
                did you rebuild the POS power plant or just drop in a new/rebuilt one ??

don't know about better, but definitely easy-er .

i would switch out the feet ASAP, seems like we start out intending to only use things at the house and before ya know it they are all over the place. just watch how fast word travels about your new plow......................good thing or bad ????? no telling but you definitely gotta watch out for that Murphy's Law guy. he is just not the friendly type.

The motor was rebuilt a few years ago for my 72 C10 (ongoing restoration project). Pretty much stock 350 30 over with a little bigger cam and some minor head work - nothing too fancy on the inside.
                I think I will switch out the feet judging by the advice of those who know. I'm still sticking to my guns and not leaving the acreage with it. Besides, I don't have insurance on it right now and the tail lights dont work. Hate to get into an accident and loose everything I've worked for....Thanks for the response!

Comment

Originally posted by KBar View Post
                  willy, I sent you a private message.

KBar - I sent you a response - let me know if you did not get it. Thanks for your help!

Comment

Originally posted by FarmBoy View Post
                    i made a little blade for my garden tractor. it works pretty good. i put a hydraulic system on my tractor and now im in the process of making a little culitvator

like James said "Lets see some pics!"

Comment

Originally posted by GLUE STICK View Post
                      Nice job on the plow willy.
                      what does the whole assembly weigh, can the old chevy hold it up.
                      I live in northern B.C. cananda, and do more than my share of snow removal.
                      I use a skid steer with a 9'2" plow or a case loader. once the ground is frozen i take the shoes of alltogether, I push all around our helipad's(concrete,ashfalt,grass,gravel) don't ever have a problem.
                      I would drive the 30 miles to push his driveway in, it would be worth it.
                      Thanks Glue Stick! Havent had a chance to weigh it yet. The old chevy holds it up just fine. Front end sinks about an inch or so when it is raised.

Comment

I don't have insurance on it right now and the tail lights dont work. Hate to get into an accident and loose everything I've worked for
                        aint that the truth.
                        thanks for the help
                        ......or..........
                        hope i helped
                        sigpic
                        JAMES

Comment

Originally posted by willy View Post
                          KBar - I sent you a response - let me know if you did not get it. Thanks for your help!
                          Willy, I got it, thanks and your welcome
                          Ken

What else is there besides welding and riding. Besides that

Miller Thunderbolt XL 300/200 AC/DC
                          Hobart Handler 187
                          Dewalt Chop Saw
                          4" Air Grinder
                          Die Grinder
                          Rigid Drill Press
                          Kellogg 10hp Air Compressor

2009 FXDC

Comment

Lawn Mower Snowplow

I built a handy little snowplow for my lawn mower. I got everything needed for free so you can't beat that. The frame is made out of 1 inch square tubing and the plow is made from a old boiler expansion tank that was cut to size. No hydralics or winch needed for this because I just use the lawn mower's deck height adjustment to raise and lower the plow. It is handy for sidewalks because my 4 wheeler's blade is too wide. I will post some pics if you guys want to see it.

willy thanks for posting the pics and info. I have been planning to the same exact thing you did since i can't afford a 4,000 $ plow

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by junior71991 View Post
                              I built a handy little snowplow for my lawn mower. I got everything needed for free so you can't beat that. The frame is made out of 1 inch square tubing and the plow is made from a old boiler expansion tank that was cut to size. No hydralics or winch needed for this because I just use the lawn mower's deck height adjustment to raise and lower the plow. It is handy for sidewalks because my 4 wheeler's blade is too wide. I will post some pics if you guys want to see it.

willy thanks for posting the pics and info. I have been planning to the same exact thing you did since i can't afford a 4,000 $ plow

Thanks
                              Lets see some pics! Let me know if you need any more info - Thanks

Comment

Camera Problems

My digital camera isn't working right now so i will get pics asap.

Comment

Working...
                                X