Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oooooold Miller model 250 TIG/ stick welder, need help

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oooooold Miller model 250 TIG/ stick welder, need help

I inherited an old (probably 1970's vintage) Miller model 250 TIG welder and need to know if there is a way to convert it to a modern type of controller. The fellow I got it from was an electronics genius and designed a foot operated control with a reversible drill and gear reduction box to drive the current setting and trigger the gas, etc. It had a water cooled torch handle that simply dumped into a drain and was regulated by hand.

I want to update it because the old wiring is brittle and the drill needs work. I also want to know if this is worth messing with. It worked great when I used it 20+ years ago.

Any ideas and comments would be appreciated. Thanks.

Anyone have a comment?

Comment

I would like to help you out, but I don't even know where to begin. Hopefully someone here will be able to help you.
      The setup you have sounds neat but really ,um, different.
      Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by tnjind View Post
        I would like to help you out, but I don't even know where to begin. Hopefully someone here will be able to help you.
        The setup you have sounds neat but really ,um, different.
        Good luck.
        Thanks. I just came back in from looking at it a little more and doing some more searching here. It appears to be a late 60s model serial # T447724 and the high frequency gear looks to be homemade so maybe I am headed in the right direction. I'm thinking he copied the design of the HF 250-1 unit's internals because it is not a Miller part. One of my main area of desire is to update the drill controlling the current. I saw where there is an accessory control for varying current from the torch handle, fixed mount or foot control. I can post pics if necessary. I am kind of blind on this so thanks for the help.

Comment

Working...
        X
        Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.