Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Flowgauge problems

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flowgauge problems

How come when I turn any one of the three flow meters on the ball goes up the tube when you first crack the valve of the tank but then sinks out of site. How can I know what kind of pressure I have at the torch. When I first started to tig I used a machine that the flow meters small ball would float up to about 20 lbs and stay hovering there until you shut off the gas. What is the story with the ones at the shop Am I missing something or are they defective? They are all the same brand and model. Thanks for you time and input.
    Redmule1154

My first flow meter was the ball type. When you turn it on, the blast of pressure makes the ball jump, just keep turning the knob with the torch flow going and set your CFM. Don't stop turning after the ball jumps. You need to set the flow meter with argon flowing out the torch.

Comment

As the gas flows into your previously unpressurized hoses you will see the ball rise, showing this flow. When the lines have equalized to whatever pressure the regulator is set for the ball will drop to the bottom. The ball movement shows flow and not pressure. The 20 setting is CFH or Cubic Feet per Hour and not pounds pressure like a gauge does.

CharleyL

Comment

Flowgauge problems

In order to set the flow on your gauge, turn the gas on and on a mig box open the side and disconnect the drive wheel tension and pull and hold the trigger while setting flow rate. This is with a ball type flow meter.

Comment

Working...
        X
        Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.