Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

proper argon flow

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• proper argon flow

i read in my miller dialarc hf manual that a flow of 15 cf per hour was sufficient but other welders tell me that 25 cf per minute is what they use.

this is a huge difference in cost to me. any help out there?

ty

fuzzy

15-35 cfh is typical. The actual setting depends on size of cup/tungsten, type of diffuser and whatever just works the best. Not much help, I know.

Comment

More flow is not always better. Start with your lowest setting and check the weld. No drafts around or doors opening either..that will blow / move the gas around.

Comment

proper argon flow

hey fuzzy,
        just checking your post and what i tell the guys at work is if you have your gas flow turned anything above 20-25 your just blowing your gas away from were it needs to be and that is the weld area, if you think about it i know some guys that have it cranked right up to 50-60 and all that is doing is blowing your gas all over the place and not at the weld were it needs to be it is crazy to have to turned up that high i think. but some guys really don't know the importance of gas flow and think if you turn it up the better it is.

I hope this helps you,

Comment

Am I reading this right?

Originally posted by fuzzy View Post
          i read in my miller dialarc hf manual that a flow of 15 cf per hour was sufficient but other welders tell me that 25 cf per minute is what they use.

this is a huge difference in cost to me. any help out there?

ty

fuzzy
          25 cf per minute is 100 times the flow rate of 15 cf per hour. Big difference. I am sure they meant cfh. The rule I go by is 14ga and under = 20 cfh. Over 14ga = 25.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by triggerman View Post
            .....The rule I go by is 14ga and under = 20 cfh. Over 14ga = 25.....
            Unless you (as I do) use a gas lens, in which case you can get by with even less Ar. On light gauge mild steel I use 11 cfh. and my welds look clean.

Comment

I almost always use 20cfh of argon, there's so many variables- cost, work area (drafts), material, gas lens.

Comment

It also depends on who is buying the argon.

Comment

In my opinion anywhere from 15-35 cfh is good. It depends on drafts more or less. If your in a small shop with little draft, no doors opening all the time etc, 15 would be fine. You dont want too much gas flowing as it could cause turbulance and does not provide a good shield around your puddle. Depending on who's paying for the gas is also crutial.... lol
                  I would go with 20-25 cfh, it's a safe flow rate.

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.