Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

common sizes of square tubing and pipe for railings,gates ?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• common sizes of square tubing and pipe for railings,gates ?

Just wondering what the norm is when it comes to the size of material (square tubing) generally used for ornamental type railings. First time doing this type of work

1/2"solid sq pickets,posts are usaully 3/4",7/8",or 1"solid sq.Bottom and top. rail 1"x3/16" strip.I use all solid the weather around here rots out hollow tube.

Comment

http://www.kingmetals.com/

You should contact King and get a catalog- a wee bit easier to navigate than their website.

Comment

Like was said earlier, 1/2" solid sq. or round for pickets. I use a lot of 1: tube and 1/2 x 1 solid for rails and 1 1/4 14 ga for line post. Each job will have its own requirements.

Be sure to check with the local building inspector to make sure your design will pass inspection.

King Metals has a great catalog and an OK website.

Rick

Comment

1/2" pickets are pretty skinny. You should look at some different sizes to see what's right for the job you're working on.

The fence I made for my house was 5/8" square tubing pickets with 1" horizontals and posts. Down the street, a guy has 3/4" pickets on 1-1/4" framing. It kind of depends on the size of the fence (height, length) to see what proportions will look best.

Comment

Working...
          X
          Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.