Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rear Bumpers

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Bumpers

I like to try my hand at making myself a rear bumper, Can some of you show off your bumper pictures? Street and Off Road Bumpers.

I realize pictures and posts are scattered thought out the form but this way, there be in one post.
    Thank you

This is what it's going on.
    Attached Files

This is a Tire Carrier/Bumper I fabbed for my son's pre-runner.
    Attached Files

Comment

sweet job Shamrock!

that looks killer, anybody ask you to start building them ?

Comment

I have found a lot of people who would love one..........for $100. They can just keep searching the net for one.

Comment

Originally posted by Shamrock1123 View Post
          I have found a lot of people who would love one..........for $100. They can just keep searching the net for one.
          That's kinda what I was thinking.
          It reminds me of people that see something cool that I made, right away they want one. I used to get excited and think I might be able to make them one so I'd spend some time and price it out. I'd account for the material and consumables plus mark up, then figure out the labor and give them the final price... what a waste of time. 98% of the time they wanted to pay a mass production price... if that. Sorry I'm not Walmart, I don't have a factory out back pumping a 1000 of these out an hour.

So then I started asking them what they do for a living... oh your a carpenter (purely an example) oh sweet, I just picked up a lift of econo studs from an auction, they're a little twisted, some have some bark and knots in them, but do you think you could frame me a house tomorrow for $500??? What... you can't??? What do you mean it would take longer than that and you work for more than $500 a day???
          Oh never mind, I'll burn the studs for fire wood and buy an RTM house.

Nice stuff by the way.

Comment

Yeah, Clay. You pretty well hit it.

I got burned on a bumper I built for an '80's K-5 Chevy blazer about 5 years ago. I'm trying to locate a few pix of it, but much like you already said, the labor alone was far in excess of any "production" piece price. It was a custom job & he outright didn't finish paying for it tho.

I wouldn't get too excited at the prospects. It's a lot like building a trailer. You can't really compete with the places down south that are churning them out all day long with cheap production labor, specific made jigs & equipment to process the materials & a volume discount on those materials from buying in large quantities.

Make 'em for yourself & just take the compliments.

Comment

Working...
            X
            Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.