Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Passport versus Miller 180?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Passport versus Miller 180?

I currently have a Miller 135 and would like to bump up to a 180 Welder. Is the passport built as well as the Miller 180? I am thinking about getting the passport and selling my Miller 135. And what is a stronger weld, hard wire or flux core wire?

Thank you....

Happy Holidays...!!!

I was also looking at the Passport.... don't get me wrong it is a strong performer and the plus now has the spool gun option,but as was brought to my attention if you don't need the portability it is worth the extra $$.....
    Mike

Comment

I just recently bought a MM180. I looked long and hard at the passport. Boiled down to "portability". Yea, I need, just not very often, in fact rarely. And I cannot justify the added $$ for it. I also like the larger gas tank for the MM180.

If you really NEED portability then I would not hesitate.

Comment

Originally posted by SavageSunJeep View Post
        I just recently bought a MM180. I looked long and hard at the passport. Boiled down to "portability". Yea, I need, just not very often, in fact rarely. And I cannot justify the added $$ for it. I also like the larger gas tank for the MM180.

If you really NEED portability then I would not hesitate.
        You can hook the pessport up to a full size tank as well if you want.

Comment

Originally posted by Anti-GMAW View Post
          You can hook the pessport up to a full size tank as well if you want.
          LOL I knew that, but hauling a big tank around kinda hurts that portability thing a little bit

Comment

Originally posted by SavageSunJeep View Post
            LOL I knew that, but hauling a big tank around kinda hurts that portability thing a little bit
            The tanks for the passport are actualy pretty cheap since there just paintball gun tanks. I already have a few lying around since I play paintball.

Comment

Passport vs 180

I have both, but if I could only have one, it would definitely be the Passport, for 3 reasons. 1. The Passport runs on 110 or 220. This is a tremendous advantage. 2. The Passport is rated for 3/8" vs 5/16" for the 180. 3. The Passport has a setting for stainless, which is a big deal whether you ever leave the shop or not.

I do a fair amount of onsite work and the versatilty and portability has paid for itself many times over. I use the smaller 20 cf bottles (75/25, co2 and tri-mix) so weight is no big deal.

Comment

im considering buying a welder for the home shop what would be a good model i only have110v outlets for now one day ill get bigger service but i just want a welder to do light stuff light fab work and repair , probablky use it maybe 12 hours a week for doing just hobby stuff at home.

Comment

I just recently bought the MM180, this is an awesome machine!

Comment

if you have the $$ the passport would have the 240V option for later when you get it.
                    if $$ is a big concern grab a HH140 from TSC, some one sells referbs but i cant remember who at the moment

Comment

Re:

When I got back into welding I started with the Miller 135, then I got a deal on a 175 from a friend. It work good, no complants, Then I started getting picky at what I was doing and did not like cleaning up spatter. I herd about the passport from my welding supplier, tryed it there and was blown away on the welds and the clean welds (no spater). I was sold and drooling the hole way. I brought my Miller 175 in and said to sell it and get the most you can. sold in 4 days and drove home with the passport...... Best investment I did.

My welding inprooved by 200%. No joking.

Well worth the price. Now I see the passport plus and it is the same price. It is ok, I do not do Alum. anyway at this time.

Go for the passport if you have the money.........

Comment

Re:

I also use my passport portable on the back of my ATV on the farm with a 5500 Generator on a small trailer I use behind the ATV. I like the portable Co2 bottles on board. I just emted my bottle on Monday, I am going to get a backup now.
                        I like the 110/220 also.

Comment

where is a good place to fill those small bottles?

Comment

Hobart Handler 210

Anyone have any experience with the Hobart Handler 210? The extra 40 amps over the 180 would seem to make it a better deal in a small machine? Any thoughts with the Handler 210? How are the drive systems on the Hobart compare to the Millers? Thanks......

Comment

purchase

After a lot of reading I am going to purchase the Miller Passport Plus from my local Miller shop. But I do have a few question for the guys who own a Passport. How durable are the case on the Passport? And how does the drive system compare to the Miller 180?

Thanks.....

Dave

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.