Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Black bead

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black bead

I'm new to tig welding and I'm welding 16 Ga 304 s/s. The bead looks ok but the bead is black not the nice coppery brass colored that I see when other people weld S/S, is it too much heat or not enough or something toatally different. Please help. Thank You.

Can be 1 or all of these things: Too hot and/or too slow travel speed; Wrong gas and/or wrong cup angle; Gas lines not sealed,leaking argon or sucking in air.

Comment

Crystallization... you're probably cooking it!

Sounds like you're 'too hot' and/or going to slow. Back-purging of some kind will help with both sides of the weld, but is intended for the 'back side'.. (obviously). I've had some success with COPPER behind the S.S. in order to act as a 'heatsink'.

Also, Try again with the tip of your Tungsten 'squared off' just the tiniest bit... Doing this will make the ARC somewhat wider and penetration won't be as 'narrow', thus spreading the heat out a bit more...

Good Luck

Comment

Im No expert at Stainless,but the only time Ive gotten a black bead is when I put way too much heat into the part.Mike

Comment

It's either too much heat caused by slow speed or welding to hot. It could also be not enough gas coverage. Bottle is low or welding in windy conditions.

Comment

Working...
          X
          Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.