Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

My DIY press brake 1

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My DIY press brake 1

Here is my cheap solution for my need to find a way to bend some ” aluminum diamond plate for some brackets I needed to make. I made it after seeing some examples of DIY press brakes online. All welding was done with my MM211 with .035 wire. The die I made from an old piece of ” thick railroad scrap I found at the local Rail Road crossing.

The 3/16” x 1 ” and 3/16” x 2” angle iron and ” round bar I had left over from other projects. The ” steel base plate I cut from the edge of a larger piece I was using as a welding table top. The round pipe was scrap left over after relocating some steam radiators in my house.

I cut the railroad scrap down to about 12’ x 2” with a cheapo 4 ” Harbor Freight/Northern grinder with a good quality cut-off disk. I started out by using my plasma cutter on it, but found that the low-tech method of using the grinder and cut-off wheel worked better, leaving a beautiful clean edge.

Last edited by Joe from N.Y.; 10-21-2010, 08:24 PM.

I then used the plasma at an angle to get a rough point along the edge, and then finish ground the point with another cheapo grinder with a grinding wheel. (They are so cheap, I keep four, each with different disks and brushes on them for different needs. It is easier than swapping the disks.)

I cut two pieces of the 1 ” angle iron to the same length, and welded them, butted up against each other to form a c-channel, almost to the edge of my ” steel plate. Then I cut the ” bar to two pieces of the same length. These got welded into the angle iron to act as structural support to go underneath the bottom die.

Last edited by Joe from N.Y.; 10-21-2010, 08:25 PM.

Comment

Comment

Then I cut and welded a piece of 2” angle iron to be the cradle of the brake.

After aligning the top die to the bottom of the angle iron forming the base, I cut two pieces of the pipe and welded one to each side of the die.

Last edited by Joe from N.Y.; 10-21-2010, 08:25 PM.

Comment

Then I cut some more ” rod for the pipe on each side of the die to ride on, and welded them in place on the ” base. I used a cheap Northern grinder attachment that turns it into a mini chop saw.

Last edited by Joe from N.Y.; 10-22-2010, 06:35 AM.

Comment

The top gets slid onto the posts, and that’s it. I welded it along the edge of a larger piece of 1/4" plate i am using for my welding table, and just cut the edge of the plate off the table when I was done. (The table fits better in my garage now). I will add suitable springs under the pipe on each side when I can scrounge some up somewhere. In the mean time, it works for me. It bends 3/8” flat stock like butter

Last edited by Joe from N.Y.; 10-21-2010, 08:26 PM.

Comment

(This is the last of the multi-part post.)
              Last edited by Joe from N.Y.; 10-21-2010, 08:27 PM.

Comment

Nice job there Joe. Are you left handed?...Bob

Comment

Originally posted by aametalmaster View Post
                  Nice job there Joe. Are you left handed?...Bob
                  No, why, does something look backwards?

Comment

By Joe from N.Y.
                    No, why, does something look backwards?
                    The handle on your grinder.

Comment

The handle on your grinder is on the right side. My buddy at work was a lefty and i am righty and we always had to swap the handles. Do you use the grinder in your chop saw?...Bob

Comment

I really like that. Giving all that stuff a new life in a useful way. Nice job.
                        Hey, what is the actual name of that HF grinder chop saw? Couldn't find it on HF website. Probably cuz I don't know what it is called...

Comment

Originally posted by strube1369 View Post
                          I really like that. Giving all that stuff a new life in a useful way. Nice job.
                          Hey, what is the actual name of that HF grinder chop saw? Couldn't find it on HF website. Probably cuz I don't know what it is called...
                          Yeah, i forgot i got it from Northern. This is it: http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...2331_200422331

But i later saw this one on the HF site, and i would have gotten it if i had seen it before.
                          Last edited by Joe from N.Y.; 10-22-2010, 06:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob the Welder View Post
                            By Joe from N.Y. The handle on your grinder.
                            OK, i get it. No, i was just grinding from different positions and getting some work done under the Jeep while waiting for crap to cool down. I kept moving the handle around.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe from N.Y. View Post
                              Yeah, i forgot i got it from Northern. This is it: http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...2331_200422331

But i later saw this one on the HF site, and i would have gotten it if i had seen it before.
                              Thanks Joe! We have a HF store here in Lincoln, Ne. and I love to go there...

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.