Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

wife spec'd some railing around the house

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wife spec'd some railing around the house

she wanted the front to look kinda like a tidal wave rollin down the steps.... i built the top side to look a lil more old school ornamental... and yes, it passed code (for all you haters out there...lol)
    Attached Files

more pics of the railing..... and BAH! at the stupid uploader cause it dont load em in order
    Attached Files

Comment

That is some beautiful work! I bet she is very proud of her new railing.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonora Iron View Post
        That is some beautiful work! I bet she is very proud of her new railing.
        Ditto:

It does look good and I'm sure your suppers are a little tastier these days.....

Comment

Originally posted by wroughtnharv View Post
          Ditto:

It does look good and I'm sure your suppers are a little tastier these days.....
          LMMFAO!!!!!!! my wife aint allowed to cook..... only person in the world i know of that can catch microwave rice (yeah, she did) ON FIRE!!!

however, she makes a ton more money than me, so i guess that makes up for it

and thanks harv and sonora... took me 3 days and about 11 hours per day... each one of them curves was hand bent on an anvil horn

Comment

Is that a welder on the floor??
            I seems vaguely familiar looking tho
            Perhaps a better shot of that could kickstart my memory.

Comment

it is, yes..... and either gimme a call or clear out yer danged pm box.... i might have some news you might be interested in, sir

Comment

YOU Betcha

Comment

Looks great but

Must have a different code than Wisconsin. It appears that there are areas with openings larger than 4" in some of the design. Don't get me wrong, I like what you have done but code is code in Wisconsin and I would have to reject it here based on the 4" rule. Take about a soft ball size and if you can pass it through anywhere, it fails.

Just my two cents as an ex-building inspector.

Leefy

Comment

Done.... BTW....Is that you phone I hear ringing?

Comment

Rails

Great looking rails Did you use the new welder to do all your fab. Maybe you can share you bending technique with me some time. Tried and never ge any bends 1/100 that nice

Comment

Originally posted by Leefy View Post
                        but code is code and I would have to reject it here based on the 4" rule. Take about a soft ball size and if you can pass it through anywhere, it fails.

Just my two cents as an ex-building inspector.

Leefy
                        hater.....

if you look past my railing and see the railing that was existing, there are places that have a 16 to 18 inch gap below it at the steps...... bought the house from HUD as a foreclosure and they required railing to be built on the outside of the brick porch and steps... alas, there are gaps on the front side that are greater than 4 inches, but the distance to the ground is less than 30 inches, therefore does NOT have to maintain the 4 inch center ruling.... the top side (the part that was built a little more old school) does not have any gaps greater than 3.5 inches because the landing is more than 30 inches above the ground..... just my 2 cents as a code inspector too *grins*

Comment

Originally posted by odleo View Post
                          Great looking rails Did you use the new welder to do all your fab. Maybe you can share you bending technique with me some time. Tried and never ge any bends 1/100 that nice
                          yes, that "new" machine did all the welding for that railing as well as the 6 other neighbors railings that got built after they saw mine and asked me to build them some...lol...

and yes, i can show you how to make stuff like that... wait til i get caught up and back from atlanta, and classes shall resume

Comment

Originally posted by welder_one View Post
                            hater.....

if you look past my railing and see the railing that was existing, there are places that have a 16 to 18 inch gap below it at the steps...... bought the house from HUD as a foreclosure and they required railing to be built on the outside of the brick porch and steps... alas, there are gaps on the front side that are greater than 4 inches, but the distance to the ground is less than 30 inches, therefore does NOT have to maintain the 4 inch center ruling.... the top side (the part that was built a little more old school) does not have any gaps greater than 3.5 inches because the landing is more than 30 inches above the ground..... just my 2 cents as a code inspector too *grins*
                            Thanks for pointing out the height issue. I wasn't trying to take away from the job, I like it, I was just concerned for your liability is the only reason I mentioned it. Wisconsin requires handrails on any stairs of 3 or more risers and 24" above grade. With that the 4" rule is the rule to all spaces in the entire design (or at least it was 3 years ago when I got out of it). Again, not trying to take away anything but you know how suit happy some can be.

Leefy

Comment

Very nice! I love to see handrail work that has a random layout. Handrails with consistent patterns look nice but I really like the creative random scrolls. It looks unique.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.