Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

did you know?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• did you know?

you can weld alum to steel. anyone know the process???

just a brain teaser

Cold Metal Transfer ?
    Neo

Comment

Well????

A lot has been tried but nothing yet as far as I have heard passes NDT, DT, Dye and X-ray. Cold transfer is used for non critical apps, but controled explosive bonding is the only process I know that is used for critical apps and is of a proprietary process and from what I have heard is very very expensive.

My guess??

TacMig

Comment

nope unfamiliar with this process. can you explain??

thanks

Comment

Originally posted by journeyman View Post
          nope unfamiliar with this process. can you explain??

thanks
          Cold transfer or Explosive..??

TacMig

Comment

From what I can compile process involves "tinning" the material with bronze. then followed with silver but i can"t seem to find anything else on it.

My guess is that the application is soley ment for decorative purposes, but would appreciate any other info

Comment

Cold transfer? Explosive?

Comment

I would too..

This process is way out of my ball park and have only read about it will passing the time in the growler I'm not even going to take a shot at it. I will try to find the mag and send you the info if I can find it, I do know or perhaps better said, I think explosive bonding is a process of shape charging the Al to the steel in a controled enviroment??

TacMig

Comment

The shop I used to work at (temp. layoff) had a trailer division. One of the guys I worked with showed me a piece of Aluminum somehow bonded to Steel that acted as a sort of weld in adapter. I'm not really sure how they were joined, but you could clearly see the line of speration between the two metals. I'm going to go out on a limb and say theat the strength of this join was very high as it is used on load bearing transport trailers on public roads.

Comment

tacmig

thanks for the input

i'd appreciate it if you do happen to come across anything. if i do i'll let you know.

thanks again

Comment

Its called cladding like the nickle and copper in coins. It is done underground outside Pittsburg with explosives. The force of the blast seals the different metals together....Bob

Comment

Originally posted by shorerider16 View Post
                        The shop I used to work at (temp. layoff) had a trailer division. One of the guys I worked with showed me a piece of Aluminum somehow bonded to Steel that acted as a sort of weld in adapter. I'm not really sure how they were joined, but you could clearly see the line of speration between the two metals. I'm going to go out on a limb and say theat the strength of this join was very high as it is used on load bearing transport trailers on public roads.
                        I know what your talking about, I was also shown this on a drop deck trailer, didn't believe it until I saw it! I also was shown a coupon of 18ga cold rolled welded to a similar thickness aluminum coupon using a Fronius machine. It's cool to see constant devolopment in this great trade!

Comment

wow, thanks guy's, does anyone have any sort of references to this stuff???

I'd really appreciate it

Comment

Try this out..

I think you might get some more info from here.

http://www.highenergymetals.com/

Good luck,

TacMig

Comment

A few months ago while I was healing from surgery I watched a show about this process( Explosion ** welding on the discovery channel, you may be able to contact them and buy the episode and as I remember the process was very successful.

Hope this helps
                              Wheelchair

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.