line bore job

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JSFAB View Post
    Recalling it now, it was either username "JHall" or "Jeff", depending on the forum, do a search monte, this is amazing work, you yourself wouldn't have any concept.
    Don't quite get your post....care to elaborate?
    Nick
    Miller 252 Mig
    Miller Cricket XL
    Millermatic 150 Mig
    Miller Syncrowave 200 Tig
    2-O/A outfits
    Jet Lathe and Mill
    Jet 7x12 horz/vert band saw
    DeWalt Multi Cutter metal saw
    Century 50 Amp Plasma Cutter
    20 ton electric/hydraulic vertical press
    Propane Forge
    60" X 60" router/plasma table

www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTu7wicVCmQ
    Vist my site: www.nixstuff.com
    and check out some of my ironwork and other stuff

Comment

Originally posted by junkwelder View Post
      What kind of bar do you use? I use a YORK and really like it,but I love my BORETECH bore welder.
      The bar is a home made contraption 1-1/2 bar hyd drive off the truck, hand feed. I am way to poor to afford one of the commercial bars.
      I would love to have a bore welder but just cant justify 7 grand for one I will just keep on welding them by hand.

Comment

Originally posted by dppmfg View Post
        The bar is a home made contraption 1-1/2 bar hyd drive off the truck, hand feed. I am way to poor to afford one of the commercial bars.
        I would love to have a bore welder but just cant justify 7 grand for one I will just keep on welding them by hand.
        Nothing wrong with home made. I'll be looking for your pictures.

Thanks for the compliments, JS.
        Jeff

Comment

J Hall, the main reason I wanted to point out your job, seems too many people tend to consider this "over and above" their capabilities. When you cut it down to the basics, line bore is essentially lining up a series of holes. Especially for a "one-off" job, it's not as expensive to do as one would think. One does have to take accurate measurements, and one does have to take their time boring the hole, but in the end it's not rocket science. I always admire the guy, looking around his shop, and figuring he has what's required, with a few hundred dollars more, getting 'er done.

Last bore job I was involved in, for the price it was beyond my capabilities, reaming out the front steering pivot on a Roadtec RX-45,,,,, 8" cylinder, needed to go down 4 more inches, bored wrong from the factory. I gave the customer the name and phone, guy stopped by in a pickup, took a few measurements,,,, came by a couple days later, with the big truck, everything pre-fabbed, a half-day's work on site, total bill was well below $2000.00
          Obviously, I'm just a hack-artist, you shouldn't be listening to anything I say .....

Comment

progress update

machine showed up today. It was a little bit different than i expected. The customer had tried to remove the broken off, rusted in place pin by cutting along the tube with a torch. Not sure why they tried that but guess that is why they build buildings and we fix stuff.
            My plan is to cut out the tube, machine a new one undersized on the id and line bore to size after welding.

Te pics are not great just snapped a couple before i left the shop

Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1345.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	510702

Name:	100_1346.jpg
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	510703

Name:	100_1344.jpg
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	510704

Comment

It looks to me like you could make a tube, weld it in and be done . The length gives you a little room to play with as far as needin a real good fit.
              Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by nina1589
                Well it's really unusual but you got the job so try to fulfill it no matter what problems comes I hope you will finish up the job , carry on man , best of luck and take care .
                I will get the job done no doubt about that, but it tickles me mow much of a difference there is between what i get told and what the thing relay looks like.

Originally posted by J hall View Post
                It looks to me like you could make a tube, weld it in and be done . The length gives you a little room to play with as far as needin a real good fit.
                That is my plan more or less. plan to leave the tube undersized and bore it after welding. have a feeling it will warp. if i dont and leave it sloppy enough to allow for warp is not going to my style. I learned better to do a job better than expected than not good enough.

Comment

it tickles me mow much of a difference there is between what i get told and what the thing relay looks like.
                  That is the the story of my life. LOL
                  '08 F-350
                  Vantage 400
                  SA-250
                  SA-200
                  Invertec V350Pro
                  Invertec V205T-AC/DC

Miller 12VS suitcase
                  Miller spectrum 2050

Pipe beveler's
                  Track torch

Comment

Update had a little free time today so i started air arc the tube out.
                    I dont know how i got along with out one for so long.
                    Will say my arms are killing me from working above me head on it. got to get find some scaffolding to work on this tall stuff.

Name:	100_1349.jpg
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	510726

Name:	100_1348.jpg
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	510727

Name:	100_1347.jpg
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	510728

Comment

It looks like you could use more air. And maybe more amps too.
                      Jeff

Comment

Was thinking the same thing.Good call jeff.
                        BB402D
                        TB300D
                        DIMENSION652
                        MM250X
                        MAXSTAR140
                        S-32 FEEDER W/1260 IRONMATE FC/GUN
                        HT/PWR-MAX1250 PLASMA

Comment

That's like saying, [could use more money].

On something like this, is there such a thing as too much air, or too many amps?
                          Caution!
                          These are "my" views based only on “my” experiences in “my” little bitty world.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonora Iron View Post
                            is there such a thing as too much air, or too many amps?
                            No. Just pick a bigger carbon rod.
                            Obviously, I'm just a hack-artist, you shouldn't be listening to anything I say .....

Comment

Dang shure could used more amps now running a bobcat 250 maxed at 250 3/16 carbon have a big 40 to put on the truck when I get a chance to go through it. It has been in cold storage for a while.
                              as far as air goes i have a imt hydraulic drive compressor 25 cfm. to put on when things slow down for know i will keep using my gas drive 10 cfm.

js fab "No. Just pick a bigger carbon rod."
                              What size would you suggest 3/16 now.
                              Last edited by dppmfg; 10-21-2010, 07:23 PM.

Comment

What size would you suggest 3/16 now.
                                I'd suggest at least 3/8”, but that welder won't cut it.
                                Caution!
                                These are "my" views based only on “my” experiences in “my” little bitty world.

Comment

Working...
                                X