Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

dirt bike trailer with no suspension?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dirt bike trailer with no suspension?

Ok im sick of getting poor fuel economy towing my bike in my 4X6 utility trailer i currently have. I have been thinking of making a stripped down single rail trailer, basically a 3' axle 6.5' of channel for the tires and a short tow bar, wasn't planning on suspension just thinking of running the tires soft seeing the trailer loaded will only be like 300 to 325lbs. what im concerned about is flipping it on its side (3ft wide axle) if i hit a pothole or a raised sewer or the like at speed? what are peoples thoughts on no suspension?

Sounds like one of those tow behind cement mixers that you see on it's side once in awhile. Why not make the axle wider? I won't add much weight to it. I think it would be fine without suspension.

Comment

Hi Garage guy chris,
      I hired a single horse float once.
      Every time I went around any kind of a corner the inside wheel would leave the road. Very dangerous
      I would not do it.
      No suspension would be a mistake too I feel.

Ji

Comment

i wouldn't worry about it,, as it really depends on your own needs and ability to drive. i once drove one mile through the city with no brakes, not even an emergency brake, but i knew how to down shift and used a fence roll on the ground to stop when i made it home.

i wasn't going to pay to be towed one mile,, i tell you

Comment

Hi Garage guy chris,
          Why don't you make one of those Tailgate Bike Racks ?
          They slot into the tow ball square on your car.
          Easy build, easy to store.

Ji

Comment

Hi Chris,
            Here is a link to one.
            Plenty of ways to skin that cat

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIoO_k_9iB4

Ji

Comment

I would build a hitch carrier but problem is the tow vehicle is only a 94 corolla, with a class 2 hitch, so a hitch carrier is sorta out of the question. this is what i have in mind,

Just concerned about the no-suspension thing, they want 1200 for that thing i can build one for about $250-$300

Comment

$1200 is more then I paid for my 6x10 trailer with a tall ramp. Looking at the picture I think that it should be stable enough with bikes having a low center of gravity but I think that I would want suspension on one because when driving off road to where we ride it may be to harsh. You could box it out to fit springs and then mount two channels and have a two bike hauler for a friend to go with you.

Ken

Comment

Hi Chris,
                  It won't do the bike any good if the trailer has no suspension.

Ji

Comment

If you make one like the pic just use a torsion axle.

Comment

Originally posted by MMW View Post
                      If you make one like the pic just use a torsion axle.
                      there it is..... i like mmw answer

Comment

I've had several variations of bike trailers over the years. The torsion axle is a very good solution, one of the most forgiving suspensions you can come up with for lightweight needs. Getting the center of gravity down lower is another big benefit to a torsion axle, many put the spindles above the frame's bottom edge which gives you the best overall ground clearance without being any more top heavy than absolutely neccessary. I don't like them for large trailers with more than one axle due to the unequalizing weight load on the same side spindle if you drive over a curb or pothole, but for a bike or utility trailer they are very good choices.

I will never own a trailer narrower than 4 ft wheel track again, it is not worth the risk of over turning, no matter how low you can build the trailer's center of gravity. If I'm building it for a specific vehicle, I try to at least match the wheel track of the vehicle, unless I need the trailer wider due to load design. Less chance of flats since the trailer wheels run in the same groove as the car's.

For what it's worth, we haul 2 to 3 bikes behind my wife's '05 Scion xB from time to time. (CRF50, TW200, Suzuki DR650, all together lighter than a single big cruiser). The original trailer I built was a 4x8 utility trailer, but it was all the car could do to move it in town, forget about fuel mileage, I was concerned with premature failure of the clutch etc. I decided to build a replacement that was barely more than a small T trailer like those used for hauling dune buggies and sand rails. It was too light with it's rigid axle, bounced all over the place even in town, no matter how low I set the tires. This is why I always suspension mount the axles now, no matter how light the purpose.

I'm going to be rebuilding another rail trailer to hold 2 bikes (CRF50 and my 650 dual sport) this winter, which is going to be setup specifically to match the wheel track of our xB, mostly likely with an aluminum frame and deck.

If you really want to reduce weights like I have in the past, pick up a set of hubs that match the wheels on your tow vehicle so you can carry a single spare for both the car/truck and the trailer. If you want to keep the cost down, a friend built his bike hauler out of a toyota Camry rear axle, gave him the added feature of a hand brake to keep it from rolling when unhitched. He used regular leaf springs for suspension and has hauled it all over the country on vacations.

The reduced stress that even a light weight torsion axle is going to put on your bike is well worth it to me, no matter if it's a cruiser, dirtbike or sportbike.
                        Here's a PDF for torsions if you haven't given them much thought yet. I buy from redneck trailer frequently, their prices are fair & they have good service/support. http://www.redneck-trailer.com/2009/A/A26-A29.pdf

Comment

T trailer

I built a couple of these trailers as you propose with no suspension in the 70's. I used Chevy front spindles and welded them to a tube for the axle. Then just ran another tube for the tongue with a tube on each side for diaginal support. I used a fabricated channel for the wheel trough. I ran 14 inch car tires on them at 15 psi. It worked for me. I pulled the first one at speeds up to 100 mph. The first one I hauled a Yamaha 175 enduro on and the second one was for a Yamaha RD350. Just make the wheels track the tow vehicle or wider for stability. A modern torsion axle would be a good idea. I like bigger tires as they don't fall in every hole in the road. I would do it again with a torsion axle if I was into the dirt bike thing, now it is atv's for me. Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by Garage guy chris View Post
                            Ok im sick of getting poor fuel economy towing my bike in my 4X6 utility trailer i currently have. I have been thinking of making a stripped down single rail trailer, basically a 3' axle 6.5' of channel for the tires and a short tow bar, wasn't planning on suspension just thinking of running the tires soft seeing the trailer loaded will only be like 300 to 325lbs. what im concerned about is flipping it on its side (3ft wide axle) if i hit a pothole or a raised sewer or the like at speed? what are peoples thoughts on no suspension?
                            The width of a trailer gives it stability, the narrower the trailer the worse it is for tipping over. The next thing is your tongue, it has to be 1.5 time the axle width otherwise the trailer will hunt (sway back and forth).
                            And third no suspension will make your trailer very unstable unless you are going to be pulling it down newly paved streets with no bumps or imperfections at all. And stay away from railway tracks, I've seen people loose their trailer and it's contents with homemade trailers with no suspension.

You are setting yourself up for a disaster if you continue on this path, you would be better off building a wheel cup for the front wheel of your bike with a bar across to lash the handlebar down to and make it so it slides into your hitch receiver on the vehicle. These are popular with dirt bikers who don't want to go the expense of a full trailer. I've even seen a couple of bike shops use them to pick up bikes for repair around town.

By Al

Comment

hard tail

I would also put a small tortion axle an you trailer or a small air bag helper to give it something!

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.