Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another TIG Buying Question

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another TIG Buying Question

I don't make my living as a welder. I'm not planning on building any bridges. And I'm not planning on welding any aluminum. So I'm thinking about getting something like a Maxstar 150 STH. But it's DC only. Aside from aluminum, are there any other metals I wouldn't be able to DC tig with the unit?

Thanks,
    Jon

Originally posted by jonnymag View Post
    I don't make my living as a welder. I'm not planning on building any bridges. And I'm not planning on welding any aluminum. So I'm thinking about getting something like a Maxstar 150 STH. But it's DC only. Aside from aluminum, are there any other metals I wouldn't be able to DC tig with the unit?

Thanks,
    Jon
    You can weld aluminum on DC it is just alot harder. As a matter of fact heavy aluminum sections are often welded on DC.

I don't know what your budget is but I would seriously look at a Syncroware 200 or Dynasty 200DX. Unless you really need the portability of the 150.

Comment

AC is commonly used on Magnesium, and thin sections of copper and copper alloys.

On copper and copper alloys I have used AC but with my balance set in the very high 90's, so basically DC but with just a hint a cleaning. You can do that with the Dynasty 300, I do not know off the top of my head if that is possible with the D 200 and it is definitely not with a transformer machine.

Comment

Sorry, been offline for a few days.

Originally posted by shadetreewelder View Post
        I don't know what your budget is but I would seriously look at a Syncroware 200 or Dynasty 200DX. Unless you really need the portability of the 150.
        Needs to be portable and 110.

Right now, I'm thinking mostly ornamental stuff -- stainless, copper, bronze, brass

Comment

If you want a decent 110 welder, this is pretty much your only choice.

Comment

Working...
          X
          Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.